Friday, March 8, 2019

Turkey Rice Casserole

Missy Tippens

I bought a rotisserie turkey breast last week in the deli at the grocery store. It was too dry to really enjoy as is, so I decided to make a casserole.

I used this recipe as my base: Easy Broccoli Rice Casserole at Spend with Pennies.

Here's my version, which turned out really good!

1 package of fresh broccoli (I had a pack of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots), chopped bite sized and steamed so it's still a little crisp
1 package boil-in-bag brown rice, cooked by directions
3-4 cups cubed leftover turkey (I used the whole rotisserie turkey breast)
1/4 cup chopped onion and bell peppers (I used frozen and fresh combined)
2 cans cream of mushroom soup (or 1 mushroom and 1 cream of chicken)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (plus more for topping)
bread crumbs
3 Tbs butter
spices to taste (such as poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic powder)



Sauté the onions and pepper in olive oil. Add in the steamed vegetables to heat through and brown them a bit. Then add in turkey to heat through.



Mix together the soup, milk, sour cream and spices. Then stir this into the veggie-turkey mix. Stir in the cheese.



Pour into a greased casserole dish. Top lightly with more cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and pats of butter.





Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

It was delicious! A bit more time-consuming than I had planned but worth it.


www.missytippens.com

2 comments:

  1. Oh my stars, this looks amazing.... and I wish I'd thought of this last week when we had leftover turkey... but I didn't. Next time, though!

    I love casseroles, and Missy, I bet if the turkey was cut up ahead of time that would have saved ten minutes, right?

    Now I'm hungry. And it's 7:35 in the morning, but I would eat this right now if it was here.

    Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your crew will like, Ruthy! And it doesn't take too long to chop the turkey. It just took me a while because I was trying to come up with the recipe as I worked. If I had known what was going to go in it, I think I would have worked quicker. And if you used frozen veggies, that might save time as well.

      Delete