Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Macaroni and Cheese - The Ultimate Comfort Food

This may not be true for everyone, but in my book, Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. So when you think that way, you tend to become a conesuer of the irresistable golden stuff. And I have to say, my oldest daughter's recipe is some of the best I've ever had. 
Here's what you'll need for this yummy dose of comfort food:

  • 8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
  • 8 oz. Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp cheese, grated 
  • 1 can condensed Cheddar Cheese soup
  • 1 cup half and half (you can use cream or milk, if you prefer)
  • 16 oz. package of your favorite elbow macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
  • Ground black pepper
  • Salt 
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
  • 3 tablespoons butter
Get your macaroni to cooking first. Then preheat oven to 350 degrees.

While that's going on, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine the soup, Velveeta and Cracker Barrel cheese over medium-low heat. 

Stir over heat until smooth. 
Add half and half and stir until blended and creamy.
Add salt and pepper to taste and keep warm until macaroni is ready.

Drain macaroni, add to sauce and stir until fully combined.
You can either leave it in the skillet or transfer to a baking dish.

In a separate skillet, melt butter. Add crushed crackers and stir to combine.
Sprinkle over top of mac n cheese and bake 25-30 minutes, until top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

In my world, this can be a side dish or a main course. If it's been a rough day/week, it's a main course. I mean, when something is this good, why would you need anything else?

So we had two of the grandgirls in last week for spring break. 
Can you tell they're related?
This one really loves her macaroni and cheese, though.
We went to a fish fry Friday night, and she was double-fisting the stuff. Definitely takes after her grammy. 

Now that they've gone home, it's time for me to get back to writing. But before I go, I can't help but ask, what's your ultimate comfort food?



Three-time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com



11 comments:

  1. You had me at Mac and Cheese! I have to ask. Is cracker barrel cheese something from the restaurant CrsckeC Barrel? Lol I almost have everything for this! Even started 10pm it sounds good. A side if fried fish with it sounds even better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently I can't type fast lol Cracker Barrel restaurant.

      Delete
    2. Katie, Cracker Barrel cheese has nothing to do with the restaurant. It's made by Kraft and been around for a long time. And it should be available in most grocery stores. Here's a link so you see what the packaging looks like: https://www.crackerbarrelcheese.com/
      It has a nice flavor, different than regular packaged cheese and it melts nice and smooth.

      Delete
  2. Ooo, I may have to try this variation because you know I love me some mac and cheese, Mind-O!!!! And how cute are those girls??? I love 'em! Those busy family weeks are the best, but they are not conducive to getting words down, LOL! Happy writing and happy family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, Ruthy. Those times when their home are the best, but the word count does suffer. So I definitely have to plan.

      Delete
  3. Macaroni and Cheese! You're absolutely right, Mindy. This is the ultimate comfort food.

    And now - even though I had a healthy breakfast and it's still an hour before lunch - I'm having macaroni and cheese cravings! I think I'll have to have some for supper tonight. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mindy, this looks amazing! We usually make shells and cheese from a mix, so this would be a real treat! And yes, for us, it's the main course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, this is WAY better than the shells and cheese. Matter of fact, once you try it, you might never go back.

      Delete
  5. I think anything with cheese qualifies as my favorite comfort food.

    ReplyDelete