Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Savory Breakfast Treat

Calving season has begun here at the ranch.

These little ones hadn't been spotted until yesterday. They're always so cute. But I hate it when they're born right before a cold snap. I suppose it makes them tougher, but it still makes me want to go out to the pasture and bundle them up in a nice, soft blanket. Though I can assure you their mamas would not stand for that. 

Today, we're talking breakfast. I am woman enough to admit that one of my favorite breakfasts comes from McDonalds. Let's face it, an Egg McMuffin is hard to beat. Not only is it tasty, using many of the same ingredients as Eggs Benedict, it's a good source of protein. There's just one little thing that gives this low-carb loving gal pause. 

The English muffin.

Okay, there's also one other teeny, tiny problem. I have to leave home to get it. 

Most days, I have either a high-protein smoothie or oatmeal for breakfast. But there are times when I crave something savory instead of sweet. So, as I stood in the kitchen one morning, longing for an Egg McMuffin, I was struck by genious. Not as painful as lightning, though much more rare.

What if I substituted a low-carb tortilla for the English muffin?

Tah, dah!

I would get my Egg McMuffin fix AND keep things low carb. 

Score!

Oh, and it didn't take much time. Simply start with a low-carb tortilla. I use the Mission brand with 4 net carbs per tortilla. Top that with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese.

This is my preference, but you can use whatever you like. Pepper Jack, mild cheddar, Havarti... You can even shred your own cheese, so you're not using as much. I just happen to like my cheese. 

Next, you'll want to fry up an egg, breaking the yolk and flipping it to cook it through.

That is unless you want it runny. Something I usually prefer, but not here. I'll end up with egg running down my chin and no one wants to see that. 

Set the cooked egg atop the cheese so the cheese will melt.

Now add two pieces of thin-sliced, deli-style ham to the same skillet. If you have Canadian bacon, go ahead and use that.
Cook those for a few seconds, only until hot, then place them over the egg.
And that's it. For ease of eating, though, I usually fold it in half like a taco.

This also makes it perfect for eating on the run. However, I do recommend a napkin in case of leaks. 

Okay, so I know this isn't rocket science, but maybe coming up a with a low-carb version of this favored breakfast treat never crossed your mind until now. But I love it when I can satisfy a craving with a healthier alternative that fits my lifestyle. 

Now it's your turn. Do you change-up recipes to fit your eating lifestyle? What are some favorites you've come up with?



Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

14 comments:

  1. Oh, this looks wonderful, a breakfast wrap and low-carb. Mindy, and one frying pan that barely needs a swipe down! YES!!!!

    I have to scramble my egg, though, and that's easy enough. And then you just draw it all into a circle-type shape and flip it when one side is fully cooked. I can't look at yolks.

    Isn't that hysterical????

    #mustbeblended

    Thank you for this, and I want to know what a "cold snap" is in Texas, darling friend.

    From Ruthy whose Wed. forecast is a -25 degree wind chill and -5 degree temperatures (which are low, even for the north, but not as bad as poor Minnesota!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I said that wrong. I essentially scramble my egg in the pan. I break the yolk and swirl it around. When I flip the egg, it's just to set the other side.

      And a cold snap in our neck of the woods means low thirties. Not so cold that your breath freezes in the air before shattering to the ground. I know that cold you're talking about. Twice when we lived in Rapid City, Jan's stomping grounds, we had -20 to -30 degree air temps and -60 wind chills. The furnace never cut off, schools were closed and only essential personnel reported for work. At least on the base. Otherwise, they wanted everyone to hunker down at home. And with those kind of temps, you really had no choice.

      Delete
    2. The east side of South Dakota is getting hit with that cold snap this week! Schools are closed because of it. West River isn't going to be so bad. I think the lowest I saw was -8 for this week. We wont enjoy it, but we can handle that.

      Delete
  2. I love this! We have made our own egg mcmuffins at home before. We are about to go Paleo so if I find a way to make almond flour tortillas this is totally going on our menu! Your photos make me long for warm weather. There is no white stuff on the ground where you are! However I saw something online a bit ago. A photo of a person chest high in snow shoveling repeating "we don't get hurricanes" so I will just keep reminding myself of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I have a recipe for a wrap that might be just what you need. It's a Trim Healthy Mama recipe - I'll share it in my post on Monday!

      Delete
    2. Katie, if we had white stuff on the ground, the state would be shut down. But we do get extreme heat and the occasional hurricane. It is, indeed, a trade off.

      Jan, I'm looking forward to you sharing that recipe.

      Delete
  3. Egg McMuffins are my downfall. When I get a craving, carbs don't count anymore. I call it my off-plan treat. :-)

    BUT - I love this! Making it at home is much better than going out! I just need to make some of those wraps I was telling Katie about...

    And it's already calving season in Texas! I love how the season moves north, inch by inch. In another couple weeks, it will be calving season at Mary Connealy's place in Nebraska. Ours doesn't start until March and goes into May. Some ranchers use a fall calving season to take advantage of the rich summer grass.

    But whenever it happens, we all get to watch those super-cute little calves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I always feel so sorry for the little calves in the snow Mary posts pictures of. Poor little things. However, I love how furry they look in their winter coats.

      Delete
  4. Low carb tortillas!!! What an awesome plan! Thanks so much. And I hope calving season goes nice and smoth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, you wouldn't believe how many things I use these tortillas for. I use them in place of bread, making wraps instead of sandwiches and they make a perfect snack when slathered with some natural peanut butter. I don't necessarily care for them with Mexican food, though, because their flavor isn't quite to same as regular tortillas. They still taste good, though, and they're nice and soft.

      Delete
  5. Cold Snap? I see no evidence of a cold snap! Where's the snow? And the howling winds and other frostbite warning signs? lol We got over three feet of snow in a week! And they are predicting snow every single day next week. We're breaking winter records up here. Gah!

    Love this breakfast idea. I am pretty committed to oatmeal every morning but I love having a comfort breakfast supper on occasion. This is a great idea. Surprised that you don't have to heat it in the oven to melt the cheese. I'll be trying this.

    My favourite recipe mix-up is making baby pizzas out of mini naan breads. So much easier for a single serving then messing with pizza dough and making a huge pizza when I'm the only one eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I said cold snap, not Polar Vortex. You know, the average Texan can freeze to death at 50 degrees. ;) I'm a northern transplant, though, so it's okay for me to laugh at them.

      Okay, so how would you make this vegetarian? Would you simply eliminate/replace the ham?

      I saw those mini naan bread at the "big" city store today. Okay, it wasn't really big. Actually, most people would still call a population of 16,000 small. But I still saw those. I need to check the carb count next time. But I hear you on the mini pizzas. I use a low-carb pita bread for the same thing.

      Delete
    2. Yes -- I'd just omit the meat or add a vegetarian twist like maybe heating up some veggies -- peppers and mushrooms maybe. Or even left over beans. Yum.

      Delete
    3. Kav, I forgot you had mentioned something about putting this in the oven to melt the cheese. I simply set it back into the pan before I taco it if the cheese hasn't melted.

      Delete