Thursday, January 24, 2019

How Is It Thursday????

Oh my stars, these Monday holidays are wonderful... but then I was pretty darn sure it was Tuesday yesterday...

And guess what?

It wasn't! :)

Oh mylanta.

So this happened last weekend:

While I was driving to Pittsburgh and back, but that's a whole other blog experience, LOL!

Winter arrived!!!!  Porch bushes about 4' tall...


Shoulda brought the grill inside!!!!


My flag hook in the sidewalk garden....


And yes, that's about a 4 foot hill behind it from shoveling! There's a sidewalk under there... someplace!!!!




And the snowblower.... totally Dave's job, and there are certain times when gender separation of jobs works for me! :)


So I got to visit Duquesne University and Seton Hill University in Pennsylvania last weekend. Both are beautiful!

And I visited some old churches and TWO OF THEM were unlocked.

That always thrills me when church doors are unlocked because I grew up in Rochester, NY in a time where church doors were never locked.... and I loved slipping into the old cathedral (before they messed it up with a crazy expensive remodel) and praying. Always in the back, to the left side. Isn't it funny how we gravitate to a certain spot in church?

Now I sit more eclectically. But back then I was a poor kid from a downtrodden family and I didn't feel right sitting in front with the normals.... kids' heads are like that, sometimes.

Now if I sit in the back it's because I'd rather be that widow, giving of her need... or that man, quietly in the back, asking God's forgiveness. Or that guest at the party, taking a back seat purposely.

I forget that too often, and it's a good thing to remember!

In Catholic churches there are often votive lights where you can light a candle and it's a reminder to the congregation that someone needs prayer.

Points of light. I love that. The reminders to pray for others...

And there was a coffee shop. We always explore churches, cemeteries and coffee shops, the THREE Cs!!!!!

The White Rabbit Cafe in Greensburg, PA.

SO STINKIN' CUTE!!!!!!

The perfect macchiato!!!! And look how cute this place is....

 AND FOOD!!! A bacon, brussel sprouts and cheese quiche....


And we drove 350 miles back, through the storm, but we kind of skirted the edge of it until we got into NY state... and then the lake effect squalls got us, but we made it.

Did you know that the interior Pennsylvania roads go through lots of mountains!!!!

Well now you know!

So that's my story for this past week, a great trip, lovely friends, no one died.... and then two feet of snow fell at my house.

#truestory.

Multi-published, award-winning author Ruth Logan Herne loves adventures and someday she'll tell you about the TWO GUYS who rescued her when the mini-van went perpendicular to the road and there were ditches on either side.... Romance Heroes!!!! Find Ruthy at ruthloganherne.com or on facebook or Twitter!


9 comments:

  1. So you got a little of snow, Ruthy? ;) That's crazy snow. Fun snow. Stay in the house and bake cookies snow. But you had me at bacon, brussels sprouts and cheese quiche. That just sounds amazing. Not to mention different. But I love brussels sprouts. And bacon. And cheese. So that would definitely be a winner. Sounds like a great trip, but I'm glad you made it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right???? That has to be quiche for the win! And the muffins were pear and cranberry muffins.... another awesome coupling! And 2 feet of snow is a lot even for here, but then we got a 36 hour thaw with rain so my driveway is clear.... and the roads have been cleared because salt doesn't work in 4 degrees..... and now it's snowing. The cycle continues!

      Delete
  2. Oh Ruthy you keep all that snow to yourself! It is amazing how different one side of South Dakota is to the other. I grew up on the colder side, but moved to the warmer end a few years ago (because that is where God knew I should be) My dad got here for a visit last night and as I was complaining about it getting down below freezing he reminded me back home it wasntw even above 0! I love the 3 C's! Although it is too chilly to explore cemeterys right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, it is pretty cold! I had some great pics and videos on my old (now dead) phone that I took at the Trinity Episcopal cemetery in Lower Manhattan and gosh... the truth behind those graves, so many young mothers and babies and children.... We are so blessed! We forget that what happened a hundred and two hundred years ago, really isn't that far in the past, right?

      So is the upper side of SD the cold side? And the Southern half, the warmer side? Because I see how that jet stream dips sometimes and you guys get a real generous "U".

      Delete
    2. When you think of South Dakota, you have to think of East and West. The Missouri River runs right through the middle of the state, so we say "East River" or "West River." And yes, there's quite a rivalry!

      But the East side gets more snow and colder temperatures! They have a straight shot from the North Pole, and it shows!

      In the West, in the Black Hills, we have the advantage of the mountains and the chinook winds from the southwest. They call us the "banana belt" of South Dakota...only because our temperatures aren't AS cold as in the East. ;-)

      Delete
    3. Yes like Jan said we have east and west South Dakota. Each year I become a transplant into the Western part a little more. The temperature alone isn't nearly as bad. I am not joking when I say 30 degrees is so warm! We have not been cemetery walking in a long time. I really like finding the older ones and going through.

      Delete
    4. That's such a divide! I mean that's really something when you think about it, isn't it? And I thought the Western side would get colder and snowier..... or the Northern side. And you have less than 900,000 in the WHOLE STATE. Oh mylanta, I love that. I may move west!!!!!

      Delete
  3. You're in the middle of a real winter, Ruthy! How fun! Break out the hot chocolate and comfort food!

    I'm so glad you made it home from PA safely. It sounds like it was a wonderful trip.

    And that Brussels sprout and bacon quiche? I hope the recipe is on-line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should make that quiche, shouldn't we? With a Swiss or cheddar cheese? I bet it would be great with asparagus, too... and chicken. Like a main dish meal type quiche.

      I am very hungry right now. ;)

      Delete