Monday, September 18, 2017

Prepared for Evacuation

Jan here, with a post that's going to be a bit different.

The events of the past weeks have made me think about emergencies. How prepared am I if a catastrophe happened here?

Smoke from the Montana fires over the Black Hills
on September 4, 2017
photo by Meg Brummer

We've mentioned pantries a few times here at the Cafe. We relied heavily on ours during the blizzard back in October 2013 (read about that storm here).



I also use my pantry throughout the year - I store what I use and use what I store! You can read about one of my pantry recipes here.

And I encourage you to have a pantry ready, especially as the winter months are approaching. You think you don't have any room? Get creative, and get simple. Do you have a place where you can store a few cans of soup? A box of crackers? That's all you need. Forget about running to the store to fight the crowds for the last loaf of bread!

However, pantries are for when we need to hunker down at home. Snowstorms and events like that keep us at home, either with or without electricity. But what if we would need to evacuate? I can't take my pantry with me, can I?

Well, in a way, I can...

Prepared for Evacuation



I'm sure you've heard that phrase, "when you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail." We've prepared a bag for each of us that we can grab in a hurry if we need to leave the house.

Why would we evacuate? Our biggest danger here in the west are wildfires. We only need to read the headlines to know how dangerous they can be, and if you're in the path of one, you need to get out - without wasting any time.

In other parts of the country and the world, you may face earthquakes, hurricanes or flooding. Or you may live in "tornado alley." In any of those situations, you may not evacuate, but your home may not be livable, either.

One name for these bags are "Bug-Out Bags," and they're always lumped in with articles about the "zombie apocalypse" and "survivalists." But don't let their extreme associates keep you from being prepared!

The rule of thumb for a bug-out bag is to be able to carry enough supplies for 72 hours - or three days. The idea is that by the end of three days, you should be in a place where you're safe, or where you can replenish your supplies.

The first step is to break down your supplies into categories:

- clothes
- food
- heat
- protection from the weather/shelter
- first aid supplies
- a way to keep clean (and healthy)
- water - one gallon per person per day is the recommendation

And finally, something to carry it all.

How do you do all this?

We took our clues from backpackers. There are products made for the situations we were imagining. Freeze-dried foods, backpacking stoves that burn any type of fuel, emergency heat-reflecting blankets, Lifestraws...

What are Lifestraws? I think these are just about the best thing invented in recent years. With this straw, you can safely drink from any water source.

Check them out here - Lifestraw  When you visit their website, you'll see the awesome potential for these straws. Not only for backpacking, they're invaluable in a situation like post-Harvey Texas. And think of the difference they would make in a place where safe water isn't available, like in third-world countries!

We each have one in our bug-out bag so that we don't each have to carry three gallons of water!

If you want more information about building your own bug-out bag, try these links:

Graywolf Survival

Ultimate Bug Out Bag List

You can also buy a pre-packed kit like these

Along with our bug out bags, we keep our camping gear handy. Sleeping bags and a roof over our heads would be welcome, no matter the circumstances.


The final key point is to keep gas in your vehicle. This should be a no-brainer - just get in the habit of always filling your tank whenever it gets down to the half-way point.

One important difference between preparing to evacuate and preparing to hunker down - while we use and replenish our pantry on a weekly basis, we hope we will never use our bug out bags.

But if the worst ever happens, we'll be glad we were ready.

What about you? Can you think of a situation that you would need to be prepared for?


Meanwhile, my dear husband and I went "off the grid" for a week, and headed west. More about our trip next week, but here's a hint of where we went....







8 comments:

  1. Wow, Jan! What an intriguing post. We always keep our camp trailer packed and ready just in case we make a last minute decision to hook up and go to the mountains. It works well for a zombie apocalypse too, lol. But I love the idea of the bug out bags. Definitely going to go check my pantry now, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LeAnne! Having your camper stocked and ready to go is great! A "bug out bag" on wheels! :)

      We started living the "pantry lifestyle" years ago - it was the way both of us were raised. :) Of course, our grandparents replenished their pantries from garden produce they raised themselves, but right now I don't have the time to spend building a garden. Every fall I say, "maybe next year..."

      Delete
  2. Wow, that last picture is a stunner!

    Up here we call them 72 hour kits and there's an Emergency Preparedness gov't department that has all kinds of helpful tips as well as a comprehensive list of what should go in your kit. if you have pets you need to make sure to have a supply of pet food and their meds as well.

    My pantry still needs to be stocked...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - don't forget the furry friends!

      And stocking your pantry doesn't need to be a project. A couple non-perishables every grocery shopping trip will grow your stored food quickly. :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, the picture! I took that last Thursday morning. A storm was on its way, and low-hanging clouds covered the valley. Beautiful, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. First... that pic is GORGEOUS.

    Second... you've made me think and I realize we should have a bugout bag AND a plan.

    A plan is good.

    We've got a "Get out of the house fire" plan....

    And an insurance plan....

    but not the bona fide emergency plan.

    Now I must rectify this.

    Jan, I hope you had the best week ever!!!!! Good to have you back on the grid, and can't wait to hear about your trip, sweet thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to keep extra supplies on my shelf in case of severe storms in the winter. Yes, on keeping the car filled up when it gets to half of a tank. I have a small bag I can grab quickly if I need to leave for a family emergency.

    Thanks for sharing all the ways to be read to evacuate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning photo!! I can't wait to hear about the trip!

    Thanks for the info on bug out bags! I've never heard that term. I'm thinking that might make a good Christmas present for the kids. (although maybe they won't think that's idea as a gift) hahaha

    ReplyDelete