Tuesday, September 26, 2017

My Crazy, Whacked-Out Week

Mindy here, and since moving to the ranch in May, we’ve had some less-than-normal weeks. But this past week had me jaunting across half of Texas, savoring time with writing friends and seeing some significant changes at the big house. All of which had me craving some major comfort food.
So last Tuesday I made my trek from Southeast to North Texas and the beautiful Gaylord Texan Hotel and Resort for ACFW’s annual conference where I enjoyed four amazingly relaxing days in which people prepared my food and no one expected me to paint anything. Unfortunately, I failed to take pictures, so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

Before going to the hotel, though, I stopped to visit this little guy.

Max is getting so big. But he still melted his Grammy's heart when he reached for me as I was getting ready to leave.

The 2017 ACFW Conference opened Thursday afternoon with a thought-provoking keynote speech by Randy Alcorn. All I can say is that I will forever look at Heaven in a different light.

Friday morning, it was time to hit the road again for our oldest son’s Aggie Ring Ceremony in College Station, Texas.

 
Texas A&M is a school steeped in tradition, including their class rings.

Mom (or Dad) puts the ring on the student’s finger, you go to Kyle Field (football stadium) for pictures, and then later you drop said ring into a pitcher of liquid and then chug said liquid until you catch your new ring between your teeth. Since his major in industrial engineering, the boy settled on watered-down lemonade instead of anything carbonated that might make it even more difficult reach the bottom of the pitcher. But Mama didn’t hang around for that part because she had to get back to Dallas.

Most of you know that I always share photos of the amazing meals they serve us at the ACFW Gala. However, this year, the notion of taking any pictures seemed to have slipped my mind. However I did manage to eek out a pic of our AMAZING gala main course.
 
Best filet mignon EVER. Tender, juicy, seasoned to perfection.

And what is conference without a little craziness among friends?
 
Georgiana Daniels, it was so much fun to spend time with you.

But all good things must come to an end. So Sunday morning, my luggage and I piled into the car and headed back to the ranch.
You wouldn’t believe how many fun things were waiting for me there. Signs of life.

Things like tile.

Kind of looks like cinder blocks. Until you look closer.
Should look better with some grout.

We now have window casings.

New back doors.
 
And even interior doors.
 
All of that deserves some comfort food. Okay, maybe not that stuff, but I sure needed some. And Beckey’s Diner was just the place.
 
Meet the Monday lunch special – chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, buttered corn and layered salad. Nothing could have been a better cure for post-conference brain.

Now it’s back to the grind where kitchen cabinets are still in limbo and more painting awaits. Along with a renewed vigor for my next story. Whoop!

So what's going on in your neck of the woods this week?

 



Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com 

10 comments:

  1. Your house is coming along beautifully!

    I tried not to think about conference last week, but your post makes me anxious for next year! I'm glad you were able to go!

    And I agree with you about chicken fried steak. I never tried it until we moved to Texas as few (read "several") years ago. Now it ranks high on my comfort food list. But the best CFS I ever had was in a little restaurant in the Big Horn mountains in Wyoming. I'm telling you - that steak filled the plate, and was so good!

    What's going on in my world? Deadlines! Once November comes, things will slow down. But between now and then, the house is getting nothing more than a lick and a promise. Cooking? We'll see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadlines do have a way of making housework fade into nothing, don't they, Jan? Cooking is usually optional, too. Then we spend the next month catching up. Or I do, anyway.

      CFS as big as the plate? I'm glad I got the lunch special. Too much would have put me down for the count. It sure was good, though. And I love her layered salad, something I never make because no one else in my house will eat peas.

      Delete
  2. I totally missed that ACFW was going on until I read about it on Seekerville on Saturday and bless them for including a link to the video of the gala so I got to watch that! But oddly enough haven't seen much in the way of pics on Facebook but I haven't spent much time there either. We're into the fourth week of brutal temps and I'm just frazzled and fried so not much going on here. I am just trying to stay hydrated and counting down the days until the heatwave breaks. Seriously -- 100+ temps is ridiculous up here any time but especially the end of September.

    Love the grandbaby pic -- those eyes!!!!!!!!!! I'll skip the chicken steak thing as far as comfort food goes. Give me mac and cheese or a grilled cheese sandwich any day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I hope you get some relief from the heat!

      Delete
    2. 100+? In Canada? I'm with you, Kav. That's crazy any time of year, but it's fall.

      I was horrible about taking pics this year. Oh, who am I kidding, I'm bad about taking pictures. Trying to get better, but I just forget.

      So that photo of my grilled cheese at the beginning was for you, Kav. And I'm with you on Mac and cheese. Even the box variety with powdered cheese is comfort food to me.

      Delete
  3. The house looks amazing and grandbabies!!!!! Oh my goodness! God's reward for not killing your teenagers.

    And comfort food! I love some good chicken fried steak...except in my neck of the woods we use elk meat instead of beef. My favorite comfort food is shepherd's pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, LeAnne! I look very forward to my reward. :)

      Delete
    2. LeAnne, I'm a hard sell on CFS because I like mine so well and I always use venison. No elk in these parts, though my guys would love that. They long to go elk hunting in Colorado.

      LOL! Yes, I do love spoiling those grandbabies, even pumping the older ones full of sugar before handing them back to my kids. (Insert evil laugh) Sweet revenge indeed.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, I can't imagine what a crazy week that was! Loved the photos! But if I were you, I'd need more than comfort food to recuperate. I'd probably have to sleep for two days. LOL

    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, the one thing I haven't been able to do is sleep in since my shoulder surgery. Not that I really ever sleep past 7. Still, lying in bed is very uncomfortable, so once I'm awake, usually around 5 or 6, I'm up. Then I simply keep moving until bedtime, because if I were to get still, I'd be out and then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. It's a vicious circle. But conference was a nice break from all of that manual labor.

      Delete