Thursday, September 21, 2017

Farm Fresh and Small Town Goodness

The beauty of a small town is that you know lots of people... Although our little town has grown, so we don't know everyone!

But being the only Pumpkin Farm on the west side of town has brought so many fun people to our doors! What an absolute pleasure this is.... Hi.

I'm Ruthy and I'm a people person.



Writers who are extroverts/people persons are in short supply. Did you know that? A lot of writers describe themselves as introverts.

I AM THE OPPOSITE OF THAT. ;)

I am not introverted... I am somewhat obnoxious at times. I say too much. But I love people!



People are the bread and butter of my stories. Strong personalities, winning smiles, sad looks, stooped shoulders, bent and broken....

oh, I love people and I love a good story.



This past weekend a customer thanked us for a donation to the local food shelf (when we have extra veggies, that's where they go.... then folks who can't afford supermarket prices or have the means to drive 30 minutes to the public market can have farm fresh veggies for dinner.... )

As she described her job, I realized she was a coming heroine. I could totally see the book, the story, her side of it, taking shape. I'm not sure where I'll set it, if it will be part of a series or on its own, but I can see her in my mind's eye...

And that's the bonus of liking people. Sometimes they set up stories for me. Sometimes a bit of music, even one line... sets a story.

The mind is an amazing thing. It's constantly working, and part of that work is sorting through the "drawers" of life as we live it. For some reason, my drawers intersect well and what's happening in the top drawer sometimes is the perfect match for the folded socks of a story in the bottom drawer.

And a story is born.



So right now, with farm work abounding, with nearly 30 DIFFERENT kinds of pumpkins taking over our yard... plus fresh veggies, baked goods, fresh jams.... the writing time is limited to my middle of the night panderings...


But in six weeks, I'm back to normal. In six weeks, the days will be filled with penning the stories I've been thinking about and formulating in my head for the past three months... and while I'm not silly enough to wish my life away, I'm looking forward to that season of quiet for seven months, and more stories on paper.

Having said that, I know that my outside activities feed my brain for those precious writing times... as I see a family, interacting. When grandparents stop by, acting as parents for children's children... Old ladies, grabbing one small acorn squash and two tomatoes...

An old man who used to love my zucchini cake... And who moved to an easy 55+ community in the village (even though he's closing in on 90) but still drives by to grab tomatoes.

When people are the fabric of our life, we weave a whole new reality. I've counseled gay couples on planning a fall wedding and a Muslim family on the joy of writing inspirational and Christian fiction.

God's put amazing opportunities in front of me.

HOORAY!

And He knows that as people, as mere humans, we rejoice and we suffer. But how blessed are we to deal with life in a country ripe with opportunity and second chances?

We had ice cream cones for supper tonight. I have no guilt! :)

They were really good.  The kids... and the cones!

I got the kids to the playground, jobs done, customers cared for and chicken in the freezer... and an ice cream cone.It's a good day on the pumpkin farm in the small town. And who can ask for more?

Ruth Logan Herne loves writing beautiful stories that touch the heart... and the soul. You can find her on facebook where she loves to chat with folks... or follow her on Twitter @ruthloganherne... or visit her website ruthloganherne.com. An author of over 40 novels and novellas, Ruth's work is loved by many... and being a people person, she loves them right back!




13 comments:

  1. Oh Ruthy! Your words make me long for life in a small town. These are the stories I read and write. I love the people, their stories and the connections. Now I'm thinking I just might have to get my pumpkin fix :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I'm so glad you dropped by! Ruthy's post really makes me want to drop by her farm. Maybe someday!

      Delete
    2. Christina, what a wonderful comment, thank you! I love small town stories, the richness and the sweet simplicity. Of course we have our scandals, too. Every now and again a neighbor squabble involves COLORFUL WORDS. ;)

      I love every single little bit of it, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Yay -- Ruthy sunshine makes me happy this morning -- especially since it doesn't come with humidity! Love your enthusiasm -- you are the hub for stories -- real life and fictional!

    Love all the pictures -- especially the library ones because...well...it's a library! I spent some of the afternoon in the library yesterday to escape the hint. Honestly -- it's like church to me. I inhale that unique book scent and all is right in my world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kavalicious, I love my library! That was my saving grace as a child, my respite. My escape. May God bless every single librarian that treats the weird kids nicely!!!!! :)

      And yes, to have that humidity break was huge, wasn't it? #whinyruthy!!!!!

      Delete
  3. No wonder you have so many friends! Ruthy? A people person? I never would have guessed! *insert snarky grin*

    But I admire your ability to draw people in and listen - really listen - to their stories. Putting the Ruthy twist on reality is what makes us love your books.

    So glad your summer farm life has gone so well! We need a picture of the pumpkin patch soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love you, too! To the moon and back. And what a nice thing to say.... thank you. The pumpkin patch is weed-riddled with ragweed right now.... so you get pics of the pumpkin yard! We may have to resort to an herbicide next year because the ragweed is making folks crazy allergic... then it's hard to keep the help healthy.

      And I'm so glad you're back. I MISSED YOU!!!!

      Delete
  4. Ruthy, I'm so glad you got that beautiful story idea! You and your outgoing personality amaze me. It makes it so fun to be around you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, it just kind of came over me as she was describing her job, and I could see this woman, trying her best to make a difference, and being thwarted... only in the story, she'll be thwarted by a hero! :)

      Delete
  5. I love the insight into your daily life! You are truly a wonder. I'm glad I'm not the only extroverted writer. I recently did a workshop on branding and had to ask some of my closest friends to give use 3 adjectives to describe me. All 3 people I asked said "Loud." Hmmm. Maybe I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That would be my descriptor as well, which only makes me think they're far too QUIET.

      :)

      STILL LAUGHING!!!!

      Delete
    2. LOL! That would be my descriptor as well, which only makes me think they're far too QUIET.

      :)

      STILL LAUGHING!!!!

      Delete