Saturday, August 26, 2017

Tasty ham and chicken dish

Hi, everybody! Mary Jane here and I can't remember if I've shared this recipe before. Usually I would just hunt for the name of the dish, but I can't remember what I called it. Maybe ham and chicken? Maybe swiss, ham, and chicken? Maybe just "easy dinner"? Honestly, I have no idea, so I'm going to pretend I've never shared it before!
 SO.
This dish has several steps, and I didn't think to start taking pictures until halfway through, so bear with me.

1)Pound a chicken breast flat. Get out all that pent up aggression. It's good for you! Unless you're a full-time writer, and therefore do NOT do anything that might hurt those wrists. Hand the mallet to a child. They love this part.

2)Lightly fry the chicken breast in a pan with a little butter. Brown both sides. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, whatever you want. Now is the time.

3) Preheat oven to 350F

4)Dip the browned chicken (after cooling) into an egg wash and roll in crushed Ritz crackers.

5) Lay in a glass dish. Add shredded Swiss cheese, several slices of ham, and flip over, keeping the ham slices on the bottom.
 I had some leftover ham cubes so i threw those in.
 Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes.
 A sauteed some spinach because I felt the need for dark green leafy veggies, then remembered why I don't like cooked spinach. Blah. I'll take a vitamin.
The combination of the crackers, Swiss cheese, ham, and chicken just says "down home casserole" dish to me.

I hope you all had a good time watching the eclipse! It was amazing here in Oregon. I'm so glad we made an effort to see it, even thought some people thought it was silly and not very important. Sure, it was just an eclipse but it was still COOOOOL.

Have a wonderful weekend and be sure to stop by my facebook pages at Mary Jane Hathaway or Virginia Carmichael for all my books news!

3 comments:

  1. I bet you had a lively eclipse watching time! Always better with an exuberant crew. It was pretty anti-climatic here -- we are too far north. Didn't even get dark. I hear we're supposed to get a full eclipse in 8 years which is strange to me because I didn't think they were very common. Glad you enjoyed it and made memories with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! I love the combination of chicken, ham, and cheese!

    And I'll leave the cooked spinach on...I love that stuff.

    And easy is good. Very good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late! I was on a retreat over the weekend and had almost no cell phone signal. I'm so glad to be back to my wifi! :)

    Yummy recipe! Spinach and all. I love cooked spinach!

    ReplyDelete