Friday, August 18, 2017

Buttery Baked Cod

Missy Tippens

We recently have a wonderful dish at some friends' house. Melt in your mouth delicious. So I begged for the recipe and she graciously wrote it down for me (Thank you Beth!). I wanted to share it with you today.

But I forgot to take photos until the end! At least you can see the completed dish.

Ingredients:
4 Tbs butter, divided
Panko bread crumbs
1 lb fresh cod, thick cut
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup white wine (or just add extra lemon juice if you don't want to use wine)
1 Tbs chopped parsley
1 Tbs chopped scallions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

In a glass pan, melt 2 Tbs of the butter. Add the cod, coating both sides. Bake 10 minutes.

Melt the remaining 2 Tbs butter and combine with the bread crumbs (I probably used about 1/2 to 1 Tbs of panko per piece of fish). Spread over the cod. Then top with the lemon juice and wine. (note: pouring the juice over it washed off some of the bread crumbs, so I'll probably add juice and wine first next time.)

Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes.

Garnish with the parsley and scallions.

This is so easy and sooo buttery delicious!

And it looks pretty impressive, too.

P.S. I made this with frozen cod because I had been to the grocery store late at night after they'd already shut down the fresh fish. It wasn't nearly as good as Beth's. I HIGHLY recommend using only fresh fish.


www.missytippens.com

11 comments:

  1. That looks delicious, Missy. And so simple. I love to add white wine in when I'm cooking with seafood because it does something magical to the flavor. But it's always a dilemma because I end up with so much wasted wine left over. But when I'm in Maine, the supermarket sells these little 4 packs of tiny bottles of wine. I bought some to have just for cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I buy those, too! It's the perfect amount.

      The flavor of the wine mixed with lemon juice (and of course the BUTTER) was spectacular. :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I was thinking that after I hit send; it's that triple combination that is so delicious!

      Delete
  2. That looks so good!

    I wish I wasn't the only one in my family who likes fish, just because of dishes like this one! But that's all right. I'll just cut the recipe by 4 and have a decadent lunch. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, you might actually want to buy the frozen fillets since they're individually wrapped. You could easily do this for lunch!

      I allowed the fillets to thaw overnight in the fridge. I suspect that may have been where I went wrong. Maybe if I had started out with them frozen they would have been better.

      Delete
    2. I always cook with mine straight from frozen, Missy.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I do love a good cod recipe, Missy. I've gotten into a salmon rut, so the change to cod would be perfect and this recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I've been stuck in a salmon rut as well. This is a nice change!

      Delete
  4. Oh, these look amazing! I sure wish we could get some good cod. For some reason we can get it near the beach, but on this side of the state it tastes terrible. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I hope I can find some good fresh cod as well. If not, I'll try Mary's suggestion to keep the frozen fillets frozen.

      Delete