Saturday, August 12, 2017

Crab Cakes, Oregon Style

Hello, everybody! Mary Jane here with some pictures of our beach trip. I HATE that we had to come back to 105+ weather. UGH. But, I just keep trying to remember that at least we have ice, unlike the pioneers. I can get a cold Diet coke with a lot of ice, instead of warm water from a canteen. Positive thinking, right?

 So, we went crabbing in Newport. $10 gets you a shellfish license for the season. Can you believe we were wearing light jackets?? *sigh*
                                                                
Hauling the traps up from the water builds muscles!!
                                                    
A Fish and Wildlife warden showed us the easiest way to pick them up. Here, Ana demonstrates her fearlessness.
                                         
I wondered if three large Dungeness would make enough patties for the nine of us...
                                
Time to get cracking!
 The boys went to work. My 12 year old is kind of squeamish and said, "No way, no how." But he didn't eat any, either, so that was fair, I guess.
 The three crabs gave about 1/2 lb of crab meat. I had a recipe that needed 1 lb, so I had to adjust a little.
3/4 cup mayonaise
5 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 cup panko crumbs, unseasoned
1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
pepper and salt to taste

I like this recipe because it lets the flavor of the crab shine through, and it's not too overwhelming.
 
Fry on med high heat until golden on both sides. 
 Thank you, Mr. Dungeness, for your sacrifice!! You were delicious. :)
And my newest book releases on the 15th! You can check it out here.

 Vivacious Jamie Lawson has a lot in common with her first grade students. She’s bright, curious, energetic, has a big heart… and lacks any kind of filter. Her friends laugh about how she can’t help sharing what’s on her mind, but her mother warns her that trouble will find a woman who can’t hold her tongue.

The day Jamie accidentally breaks her best friend’s trust, she finally realizes that what is charming in a six year old, just isn’t as adorable in an adult. She vows that with God’s help, she’s going to listen more and talk less, especially around handsome Theo Delis. He’ll be helping her run the Lawson Family Blueberry Farm for the summer, and it will be the perfect time for Jamie to learn a little introspection. His serious, no-nonsense demeanor is the polar opposite of her gabby personality, and she’s sure he’ll be drawn to her new, aloof personality.

But as the heat of an Arcadia Valley summer settles in, Jamie discovers there’s more to wisdom than silence and more to love than mystery.


Until next time!!



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so jealous of fresh crabmeat!! These cakes look amazing! Looks like you had a fantastic time. Maybe you'll have your own cool weather soon.

    Congrats on the new release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It rained today!!

      And thank you! I just realized I'd already posted about it. LOL. Well, at least I didn't forget completely, which I've also done. What a marketing fail that was!

      Delete
  2. I can't even imagine...

    Oh, not the 105+° weather! That stuff comes our way once every couple years!

    But the fresh crab! I'm a born and bred mid-westerner, and have never spent more than a couple days at the ocean. But, oh, do I love crab cakes!

    We have a fresh seafood place in town - they fly in seafood daily, and sell it to local restaurants and in their retail store. I'm sure I could score some fresh crab meat there...at premium prices! (Or maybe I'll settle for frozen....)

    ReplyDelete