Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Lemony Delights

Mindy here, probably in my recliner with ice therapy on my shoulder and still under the influence of pain meds, so this post has been prerecorded. ;)

Did you know that with rotator cuff surgery you are not allowed to use the arm on which the surgery is done for 4 months? You cannot lift it, except under the careful watch of a physical therapist. You cannot push or pull with said arm. You cannot carry anything. You cannot brush your teeth or hair with that hand because it involves using the arm. That said, I will soon be able to write and type again, because that doesn't involve arm movement. But, basically, my elbow has to stay at my side. So I have the arm movement of a T-Rex.

I'm not telling you all of this for sympathy, I'm merely letting you know so you'll have low expectations for my upcoming posts.
Oh, yes, just think of the fun things to come as I try to become adept with my left hand.

In the meantime, though, I wanted to share this delightfully, surprising cookie recipe with you.
I first saw these on a Pioneer Woman Christmas special a few years ago, however I never made them until this past December. And even though I'd seen the recipe and bought the ingredients, I was still surprised by them. Probably because most Christmas cookies are super sweet. These are delightfully lemony, so I have decided to rename them Lemony Delights so you can enjoy them year round.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 sticks butter, softened (Ree says salted butter, but I only had unsalted, so I added pinch of salt to the mixture)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Zest and juice of one lemon
  • Zest of one orange
  • 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted twice
  • green and/or red candied cherries cut in half for topping (this is if you're making them for Christmas, otherwise omit)
In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
Add the vanilla, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice and orange zest and mix until combined.
Use a rubber spatula to scrape the bowl then mix again.
Add the sifted flour and mix until combined.
Put dough into a zip top plastic bag and refrigerate until firm, at least one hour.
When you're ready to make the cookies, preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.

Roll dough into one-inch balls and place on baking sheets.
If you're using the cherries, carefully press 1 half, cut side down, into each ball. If you're not using the cherries, you could press them to slightly flatten or make a thumbprint or whatever. Even criss-cross with a fork, like for peanut butter cookies. Just don't make them too thin.
Bake for about 20 minutes, but don't let them brown.
Cool on wire rack.
Okay, so envision these without the cherries. You could even dust them with some powdered sugar, like lemon bars. But these are so light and buttery and that citrus flavor so refreshing.
Can you tell I love them?
I could eat every one of them by myself. But that would be bad, so I will share them with you.

Now it's your turn.
So what has everyone been up to? Are you still in the throws of winter or is spring trying to spring?




Mindy Obenhaus lives in Texas with her husband and kids. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

14 comments:

  1. I'm just a fool for anything lemon, and lemon cookies are my weakness!

    Feel better sooooooon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You knw, MJ, there was a time when I would have said chocolate, chocolate, chocolate, but now I think I'd have to agree with you. There's just something refreshing about lemon and citrusy things I find very appealing.

      Delete
  2. I'm with Mary Jane -- love lemon baked anything. These look divine. Praying for an uncomplicated recover. 4 months!!!! Whoa. You might just have to do a series of 'men in the kitchen' that feature your guys slaving over a hot stove for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the prayers, Kav. So far, so good. Today was my first PT. So not fun, but a means to an end. And I can forget the men in the kitchen idea. Both of them are sick, so I'm pretty much on my own. Makes me glad I'm sleeping in the recliner, so I can avoid those germs. I did cook dinner last night, though. An easy skillet dish, but I wanted comfort food. And I did it all with my left hand. You should have seen me trying to do the can opener.

      Delete
  3. I've been craving something lemony! I tried lemon oreos, and I loved the lemon filling part, but I'm a fan of chocolate oreo cookies, not the white kind.

    I have a bag of lemons and all the other ingredients, so the oven may be calling my name.

    Thanks, Mindy.

    Hope you're doing well with the recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shared this just for you, Mary Cate. You will love them. Don't blame you on the lemon Oreos. Just give me the old tried and true.

      Delete
  4. They look so pretty! I can't wait to try them and get the taste. :)

    Hope your recovery is quick and pain-free as soon as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look marvelous and I think I have everything I need! What a fun idea, thank you Ree and Mindy! Mindy, praying for your continued return to health and mobility.... YOWZA. And sending you Ruthy hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, my dough is in the fridge, chilling right now. You are wonderful inspiration!!!

    I didn't have lemon or orange zest... so I substituted three tablespoons of frozen lemonade concentrate and one tablespoon frozen orange juice concentrate... we've always got that on hand in case we need to make our famous celebratory punch... And the dough is amazing.

    We'll see how they come out! I've got some lemon cream cheese frosting to fill some with (left from Sunday's project) and some maraschino cherries draining. I like them better than candied. I shall report back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooooo...lemon cream cheese frosting sounds divine, Ruthy. You'll have to send me a care package. I'm drooling just thinking about them.

      Lovin' the hugs, too. Just not too tight. :)

      Delete
  7. Mindy, praying for a quick recovery and as little pain as possible! Always enjoy your posts and recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie. Believe it or not, as of Sunday I'm doing the pain meds only at night. Got tired of the fog and falling asleep. Of course, the sleeping is the part I appreciate most at night. ;)

      Delete
  8. Yum! Love lemon so I'll have to try this in my spare time. LOL

    Trust you'll have a speedy recovery, Mindy. Prayers for healing.

    ReplyDelete