Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Rolling with the Punches and Red Velvet Oreos

This has been one of those weeks. You know, the kind where nothing goes as planned and you start to feel overwhelmed.

Makes you wish you had some of this.

Some decadent, dark chocolate would really hit the spot about now. Maybe I'll get lucky this Valentine's Day.

So what's been going on?

Parental issues. My mother has had a rough week. After six falls in one week, three in a twenty-four hour period, her legs seemed to just give out. Or there's some major disconnect between her brain and her legs. Two doctor visits later, we still don't have any answers as to what's going on. 
Mom on her 80th birthday in 2013.
So this week has consisted of a lot of quick meals. 
Things like chili.

 And hamburgers.

Not to mention the ever popular leftovers.

And then I found these sitting on my kitchen table, courtesy of my youngest son.

I don't know about you, but I LOVE Oreos. Double-Stuf, to be exact. So I'm not sure how I feel about these. Wait, yes I do. I sampled one.

Yes, one bite and that was it. I have never thrown away an Oreo in my life, but this time I did.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good red velvet cake. Emphasis on GOOD.
This was not good. The cream cheese filling wasn't good, and certainly paled in comparison to their original "stuf."

People at Nabisco, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. I get the fun colors for holidays, but stop messing with perfection. You have a stellar product. One that I would happily send myself into a sugar coma for. But these red velvet cookies are miss.

Cafe peeps, what do you think? Would you give these a try? Or if you've already tried them, what do you think? Hit or miss?


10 comments:

  1. I saw them in the Tops ad this past week and wondered about them... but I'll pass because I trust you that much! Also, I'm a true chocolate fan. Like you, it's Double Stuf for me because I love it so much! DELICIOUS!!!! And I don't like anything that tastes like chemicals or phony. That's a huge turn off. And we know I'm not exactly crazy careful with what I eat... We could do a year of columns on that alone! But chemical aftertaste is nasty. The funny thing is, there's a whole generation who would probably think homemade things taste funny because their tastes have grown accustomed to those emulsifiers and polycarbonideaglutamatecyanistics.

    Praying for your mother, Tex. That is worrisome. Is she in Texas near you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she's in an assisted living not far from us. And I'm so grateful she's there, so someone is always near to help here. They are a wonderful group of ladies.

      Appreciate the prayers, Ruthy.

      As for those chemical tastes, bleck! You know, back before I got pregnant with my youngest, I had a catering business and I would do an open house around mid-November for people to sample and place orders for cookies, pies and sweet breads during the holidays. People would rave about my pumpkin pie and I never could understand it because it was the same pumpkin pie I grew up on. The recipe that's on the Libby's pumpkin can. I thought everyone had that recipe. Then I finally figured it out. They were used to eating frozen or store-bought pies. Well, of course fresh is going to taste better. Yeah, I sold a lot of pies. ;)

      Delete
    2. That reminds me of a story. When my husband was still doing college food service, he had a big catering event one evening. One of the items for the dinner was whipped cream. Real whipped cream.

      Well, he overestimated on the amount they'd use, so the next day he used it on the students' desserts. You wouldn't believe the complaints! They were all used to the frozen version and thought the good stuff tasted terrible.

      The cretins.

      That was thirty years ago...I wonder what those students are eating now?

      Delete
    3. I grew up on Cool Whip, but love real whipped cream. There's just no substitutions for some things.

      Delete
  2. Praying for you and your mom. Those weeks are so hard. I think I survived on ice cream so you are doing far better than I did. You reminded me I have a Sees gift card and need to order ManO some chocolate!

    Again, caregiver blessings your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, it's difficult enough when decisions have to be made, but I think the uncertainty is worse. I wants answers so we'll know how to proceed. MRI is scheduled for Thursday to see if there's been another stroke or not. If not, well then that leaves us with more questions.

      You'd better get on that chocolate, Julie. The clock is ticking. ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't tried them. Since I love red velvet, maybe I shouldn't try them. Sounds like I'll be disappointed. Thank you! You probably saved me from falling in love with yet another Oreo. LOL

    I'm sorry about your mom's falls! That's scary. I hope they figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love red velvet, these cookies would probably disappoint you, Missy. So consider yourself saved. Or just buy a package of regular Oreos. A bag or Oreos and a glass of milk and I'm a happy woman. That is u till they're gone and I realize I hate the whole thing!

      Delete
  4. So sorry about your mom, Mindy. It's so stressful when you know something is wrong, but no idea what it is yet. Praying she will be able to be comfortable, whatever it is.

    And thank you for the review. Oreos are my downfall. When they get into the house, I nag people to eat them until they're gone. Or hide them. Out of sight, out of mind.

    Or as my husband says whenever I bring up that cliche - "Blind and senseless."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan, and everyone else for your prayers. It's definitly a challenging position for both of us.

      Glad I could save you from the dreaded red velvet Oreo, Jan. Stick with the regular. Though, if you're like me, they call my name. Eat me. No out of sight, out of mind. And, naturally, I willingly oblige. Then regret it later.

      Delete