Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Breakfast...It's What's for Dinner

So after a quick jaunt to the ranch this weekend, the last thing I wanted to do Sunday night was fix a big dinner. I wanted quick and easy, but still yummy and satisfying. 

Sounds like a good time for breakfast.

I quickly thawed a pound of breakfast sausage in the microwave, then browned it in a skillet.

Next, I cracked 8 eggs into a bowl and whisked in a half cup of whipping cream. Then I added 2 cups of shredded cheese (I had some leftover smoked Gruyere, so I used  that then rounded it out with some sharp cheddar, but you can use whatever you like), some sliced mushrooms (yes, these are optional) and then the drained sausage, along with some salt and pepper. Stir it all together.

Pour the mixture into a greased pie plate.

And bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

While that baked, I contemplated our impending sleet/winter weather event. It wasn't much, but it was our first of the season. And enough to call off school. Let's face it, an inch of ice and school buses are not a good mix. 

Remove casserole from the oven and let cool 10 minutes before cutting.

However, if you turn your back for too long, this might happen.
Teenage boys wait for no one when their stomachs are rumbling. The heathens.

This was so yummy. And not a carb in sight. Love that!

And as we readied for our winter weather, I couldn't help remembering the beautiful sunset at the ranch the night before.
Don't you just love it when God puts on a show? 

19 comments:

  1. This reminds me of Harrison Ford's character in Morning Glory, making a frittata.

    I love breakfast for dinner. Especially breakfast burritos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've seen that movie, Tina. Any good?

      I love breakfast burritos, but usually for breakfast. Especially at this little diner near the ranch. Yum. My favorite breakfast for dinner would be French toast, but that's a splurge for another day. 😉

      Delete
  2. I went and checked out the carb content of cream, btw. Minimal. But when you use fat free cream or cream subs you get carbs. VERY INTERESTING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's always amazed me how many carbs/sugar are in milk. Not to mention yogurt. They're natural milk sugars, but I switched to unsweetened almond milk. Still eat yogurt, though. Love the new Oikos Triple Zero sweetened with stevia. Sooooo good. Sooooo creamy.

      Delete
    2. Oooh, I like the sound of that yogurt. Will try it!

      Delete
    3. If you don't find it at first, keep looking, Missy. Many stores are having trouble keeping it in stock because it's in such high demand. Walmart carries it.

      Delete
  3. Tina, isn't that an eye opener? They have to add sweetness to make it taste like cream, whereas cream has a natural low-carb sweetness! They always say to watch out for low-fat or fat-free things because of that.

    MINDY! We do this as frittata in the big 10" fryer just for speed. Love it! And I love glimpses of the ranch. So cool! I know a Texas rancher!!!! HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina, isn't that an eye opener? They have to add sweetness to make it taste like cream, whereas cream has a natural low-carb sweetness! They always say to watch out for low-fat or fat-free things because of that.

    MINDY! We do this as frittata in the big 10" fryer just for speed. Love it! And I love glimpses of the ranch. So cool! I know a Texas rancher!!!! HAPPY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ten inch fryer? I assume you're talking about a cast iron skillet, Ruthy?

      You'll have to come visit us at the ranch some day, Ruthy. Research trip. 😉

      And you are so right about the low-fat/fat-free stuff. Very eye opening.

      Delete
  5. I'm a huge gruyere fan but have never had smoked gruyere before. Must be on the look out.

    Yep, Ruthy and Tina, I learned that low fat thing a long time ago. That's when I went back to "ancestor" recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I picked up this applewood-smoked Gruyere at Walmart, in the deli section. Love that little bit of smokiness in this recipe.

      Gotta love those old recipes.

      Delete
  6. This is going on next week's menu! It looks so good, and low carb? Love it :)

    And Happy Birthday, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! I would love it with the mushrooms, too.

    HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you would, Missy, because we are mushroom people. 😉

      Thank you for the birthday wishes.

      Delete
  8. We love breakfast for dinner! And lunch! And sometimes even for breakfast...This one looks nice and easy. Beautiful pic at the end.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it, too! I bet we have breakfast for dinner once a week.

      Delete
    2. Why do y'all suppose that is? Because we're not awake enough in the AM to fix breakfast or just more rushed?

      Delete
    3. Mindy, I think it's because it's usually quick, and we have the ingredients on hand. Also, for me, it's my favorite foods. :)

      Delete