Friday, March 30, 2012

Pirate Recipe!

The Belle, here. In honor of Captain Jack Sparrow being a guest on the Seekerville blog today, I thought I'd share a pirate type recipe. Or rather, a recipe with a pirate type ingredient: rum.

And I was all set to bake this and snap photos. But then disaster struck. I had all the ingredients out except the sugar. When I went to grab the sugar canister...it was empty. And I had no bags of sugar in the pantry! So I'm sorry I don't have any photos to share. I promise I'll make my version and share it another time.

Original Recipe from The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond
Click here to visit her site and see her photos.



Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 box vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup rum
1 cup chopped pecans



Glaze:
1 stick butter (Ree said she used a little extra)
1/4 cup water
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup rum

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Mix together cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and rum. Blend until smooth.

Grease (or spray with cooking spray) and flour a Bundt pan. Sprinkle chopped pecans into the pan (and optional, also sprinkle in a little brown sugar). Pour batter evenly over the nuts and bake 1 hour (a little less for darker pans).



When cake has about 10 minutes left to bake, make the glaze:

Melt butter in a pan. Add the water and sugar. Stir. Bring to a gentle boil and stir constantly for 4-5 minutes. TURN OFF THE BURNER. (Ree says this is so you don't singe your eyebrows.) :) Then add the rum. Stir together. Turn burner back on and boil for another 30 seconds or so.

Remove cake from oven. Slowly drizzle 1/3 of the glaze over the top (soon to become the bottom) of the cake while still in the pan. Allow to seep in for 5 minutes. Then put a cake plate (that has a lip on the edge) upside down on the cake pan. Invert and pray the cake releases! :) Lift away the pan.

Take a fork and prick the cake all over. Then slowly (patiently) drizzle the rest of the glaze over top and sides. It will run down onto the cake plate, which is why it's good to have edges.

Ree recommends allowing it to fully cool for best taste and prime glaze absorption.

Enjoy, matey!

8 comments:

  1. No sugar.

    I'm trying to wrap my sugar-fiend-loving mind around that, and I'm just bamboozled.

    BUT... I love rum cake. Just love it, Missy! And Jack will be so pleased when he comes by to make Mulligan Stew tomorrow! And hangin' out at Seekerville today....

    The ROGUE!!!!

    Chattin' it up with the ladies, of course. I hope Walt and Vince keep him in line.

    I have to try this after Lent. Too many people around here gave up baked goods, so I'm looking forward to celebrating Easter with wonderful pies and cakes...

    AND CHOCOLATE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...can you make this cake without the rum? I'm a teetotaler. I know -- I'm such a difficult guest at the cafe between the veggieness of me and the not liking coffee and now the rum shunning. But I love chocolate, so that makes up for it, right?

    Hmmm...and how does Ruthy know that my ill-fated bird of yesterday's comment was a male? Are they all males? I mean, they only kill the males? That would have been some consolation had I known that way back when.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruthy, I know! But sugar is the one thing I seem to run out of without realizing it. I guess I just don't use it very often--only when baking, and occasionally using a pinch cooking vegetables.

    Kav, I was thinking a little flavored syrup, like someone might use for coffee, might work. That's what I went looking for to make my cake, but found a relative had actually left some rum here a while back. I didn't even know it was here. :) (Okay, I know Ruthy's going to be all over that, making fun of me. But it's true! I really didn't know we had any!)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar? The sugar is in the cake mix and the pudding mix - it sounds plenty sweet to me!

    And Kav could use rum flavoring - but then the extra 1/2 cup liquid would have to come from somewhere. Maybe water? I don't know. Simba would have to help you experiment, Kav!

    I'm spending the day with my dad, brother, SIL and my dear husband, sorting through family stuff before my dad sells his house this summer. He'll be moving into the same facility where my mom is - she's in the Alzheimer's unit, and he'll be across the parking lot in an independent living apartment. I'm not sure if this will be a fun day or not - so please pray!

    Meanwhile, we had the most delicious coffee cake for breakfast - blueberry sour cream, made at Zehnder's bakery in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missy, no sugar? Seriously? When I run out, I can find a cup, at least, in my sugar bowls. Since we drink our coffee black and most friends use the fake stuff, the sugar is rarely used so requires a little smushing.

    Jan, hugs to you and prayers for a lovely day walking down memory lane.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janet, I think all the baking I've done lately for this blog made me use it up way faster than I have in years! :)

    Jan, Blogger ate my response to you earlier. The glaze is what needs the sugar the most. :) And I think rum flavoring is a great idea! Now you have me craving a blueberry sour cream cake! Yummo!

    I'll be praying for the move, and for today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The cake is a decadent delightful and delicious delight, Luv ( a waste of rum but delicious.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you stopped by, Captain Jack! And called me Luv (swoon!).

    :)

    ReplyDelete