Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Irish Soda Bread with Guest Kav Rees

I haven't been around because my mom passed away this weekend.

Kav was gracious enough to allow me to repost this timely recipe.

Irish Soda Bread with Guest Kav Rees

It's that time of year again...




I have Yankee Belle Regular, Kav Rees, here today to share a soda bread recipe just in time for St. Patrick's Day.




Nothing says Happy St. Patrick’s Day like Irish Soda Bread and it’s super easy to make. Prep time is about 10 minutes, baking time 40…within an hour you can be serving piping hot slices slathered with butter. Yum. But be prepared…soda bread doesn’t taste like yeast bread. It’s denser and saltier. You either love it or you hate it. I happen to LOVE it enough to make it all through the year. Maybe that’s the reason I haven’t conquered yeast bread yet. Soda bread is just so easy!

Why the cross on the top of the loaf?
Do you want the practical, superstitious or religious answer? Okay – I’ll give you all three:
Practical – it allows the heat to get through the thickest part of the bread so it cooks evenly
Superstitious – to let the devil out of the bread
Religious – symbolic blessing of the bread and giving thanks
Here’s the recipe – and stay tuned for a rare photo of yours truly – yes in the flesh. I believe it is the only image of me on the internet – a real Yankeebelle exclusive.
Irish Soda Bread
4 cups Flour (I used spelt, you can use all-purpose whole wheat or white or a mix)
1 ½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter
1 ½ cups buttermilk or sour milk
You can add raisins if you like --- as much as you like
Mix dry ingredients and cut in butter. Make a well and add milk as needed to make a soft dough. There’s a point where you have to dive in with your hands and smoosh the dough while it’s still yucky. J Just keep working it until it’s still a bit tacky. Lightly knead it for 2-3 minutes – just in your hands, don’t pummel it on a bread board. Too much handling will make the bread tough. Dough will be smooth but a wee bit sticky (it will still cling to your fingers but will pull away.) Form into a round loaf – cut a cross into the top. Place on a buttered cookie sheet. Bake at 375 for 40ish minutes. LOL. Bread will brown on top and if you look into the cross part you can see if it’s cooked through. A tap on its bottom should sound hollow. Don’t overcook so start checking around 30 minutes. Nothing tougher than overdone soda bread.
Kav kissing the blarney stone
And yes – here it is – a picture of Kav kissing the blarney stone many, many years ago when she was still nimble enough to climb the stairs and lay down on the cold stone floor.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day, everyone!

10 comments:

  1. So sorry about your mom, Cate. I will be holding you in my prayers...

    And thank you for sharing Kav's Irish Soda Bread recipe again! I was just thinking about this recipe yesterday and was going to look it up. You saved me the trouble!

    Thanks again, Kav! (Love the cross stitch!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I had this post on my mind anyway, because I bought some soda bread at a bakery, and it was horrid! I figured it was time to make my own.

      Delete
  2. Mary Cate, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Please know I'm praying for you and the girls.

    And Kav, thanks again for sharing your recipe before. I still haven't made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy.

      Maybe this is a sign you are supposed to try the recipe this year.

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, I'm sorry to hear about your mother. You're in my prayers.

    Kav, you are such a tease. Even in your childhood pictures we can't see your face. But this soda bread looks so good. I just might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cate, I had no idea.... I'm so sorry. I remember how excited she was about your book!!!! That her daughter was getting published... and that's just the coolest thing, a love of reading that you guys shared. My heart is heavy for you. You've book-ended this year and I know how hard that must be.

    You are in my prayers, dear Cate. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruthy. It was expected, but then sudden.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry about your mother. It's always so hard to lose a parent.

    Kav, thanks for the recipe. I don't think I've ever had Irish Soda Bread, but it definitely sounds like something I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Winnie. I hope you'll give Kav's recipe a try.

      Delete