Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Zucchini - The Veggie I Love to Hate. Or Do I?

Last week, in one of my comments to my post, I was lamenting a certain cow who kept coming into our yard, even going so far as to munch on grass outside of our bedroom window while we were trying to go to sleep.

Well, after making herself scarce for a few days, she finally returned. And look what she brought with her.
Only days old. Isn't he/she the cutest thing? I told Bessie she's welcome to bring that baby back around anytime. I wonder if it would like zucchini?

Me, I am not a fan of zucchini. I know a lot of people love it, but whenever I have it sautéed with some mixed veggies, it just makes me cringe. I guess it's a textural thing. And the fact that it squeaks against my teeth makes she shudder. 

That said, I have a recipe for a sugar free chocolate cake that uses finely chopped zucchini for moisture and I love it. Can't even detect the zucchini. Zucchini bread? I've never made it, but I've eaten and enjoyed it. So then these zucchini noodles, aka Zoodles or Troodles, started showing up, even precut and bagged at the grocery store. It's supposed to take the place of pasta. 

You really expect me to believe that?

Well, last summer, I was at a friend's and she made this awesome sun-dried tomato sauce with chicken and she offered a variety of pastas, including zucchini noodles. This was my chance to give these buggers a try. And they weren't bad. So, I came home and ordered a Zoodle for making zucchini noodles. When it arrived, I put it in the cupboard where it's been ever since. Until a could of weeks ago.
My son wanted Chicken Alfredo for dinner. I was onboard with that, except for one thing. I've been steering clear of carbs. And even my beloved Dreamfields pasta wasn't going to do the trick. I had a major dilemma. Then I remembered the Zoodle tool sitting in my cupboard. And, hallelujah, I was still at the grocery store when I remembered. So, I made a beeline for the produce section and grabbed some zucchini.

Later, after the chicken was cooked and the alfredo sauce was bubbling, I spiralized my zucchini. Easy enough. Then I rubbed a little bit of coconut oil into a nonstick skillet.
Once it was hot, I added my zucchini swirls.
I tossed those around until they began to soften, added a tiny bit of salt, and that was it. You can also boil them, but the skillet method is not only faster, I think it's easier to get the right consistency.

I put them into a bowl, then added my Alfredo sauce and chicken and sat down to dinner with my guys.

Here's goes nothing.

I was pleasantly surprised. Not only were they not squeaky, the texture was perfect and they absorbed the flavor of the sauce. Score! I mean, that's like having  your cake and eating it too. With no guilt.

But I still wondered how they would work with other things.

So, a few nights later when my husband was craving spaghetti, I made myself some more Zoodles, though I was skeptical as to how they would taste with a tomato sauce instead of a cream sauce.
The verdict? 

Zucchini noodles are an absolute treat for anyone looking for a tasty pasta replacement. No funky texture. No carbs. And it takes on the flavor of your sauce, no matter what kind it may be.

Now I don't have to fear some of my favorite dishes, because I have a healthy carb substitute that won't leave me wanting. I do have one suggestion, though. If the amount of one spiralized zucchini looks like enough in terms of portion, go ahead and do two. Unlike pasta which expands, the zucchini noodles lose some of their moisture during the cooking process, so what may have looked like a lot, may look kind of skimpy by the time you get it into your bowl.

Now it's your turn. In your opinion, is zucchini a friend or foe? If you're trying to cut carbs, would be willing to try spiralized zucchini with your favorite pasta sauce? Or is it something you already partake in on a regular basis?


Three-time Carol Award finalist Mindy Obenhaus lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children and two dogs. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com

13 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy! I love fried zucchini. Fried...with lots of ranch. Probably not so healthy. I also slicing it really thin, tossing it with ranch dressing mix and olive oil and baking in the oven to make zucchini chips...a little healthier but still tasty. I recently bought zucchini spirals in the frozen section (I'm too lazy to cut it like you did!) and have cooked it with alfredo sauce. Not bad...but I still miss real pasta. But alas, until I can get my weight under control, I'm avoiding carbs too. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LeAnne, ranch dressing can cover a multitude of sins, can't it? Interesting about the zucchini chips, though. Wonder how they'd do in an air fryer. I assume you used the powdered ranch on those?

      Delete
  2. Definite friend! I love zucchini in any form. But like you, my spiralizer has been sitting on the counter for months! I need to remedy that asap! You've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, so glad I could be of inspiration. Yes, I think from now on this is going to be my go-to for pasta.

      Delete
  3. Also meant to say that calf is SO CUTE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love zucchini! I have a gadget from Pampered Chef that spiralizes veggies, but fresh zucchini is a rare treat up here in the winter. The grocery stores carry it, but the price... :-(

    BUT, I found zucchini noodles in the freezer case! I'm in heaven!

    I've never tried them as a pasta substitute, though. I love them cooked in the skillet, then seasoned with a bit of garlic, salt and pepper. Yum!

    And that calf is the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I've never seen it in the freezer section, so I didn't know about it until LeAnne mentioned that earlier. They do have fresh spiralized zucchini at my HEB, but it's so much cheaper to just do it myself since I already have the tool.

      As for the calf, I just love this time of year. These babies are so much fun to watch.

      Delete
  5. Our local pizza place makes the most AMAZING zucchini pizza with white cheeses (no red sauce), garlic, and thin sliced zucchini.It started as a summer special, bit it was so popular it earned a place on the regular menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, that sounds like a very interesting pizza. And I do love the white cheeses and garlic. But if the zucchini squeaks, well...

      Delete
    2. I would love, love, love this. I love fresh veggies on pizza!

      Delete
  6. I like using zoodles. They're tasty and low-carb but they're crazy expensive up here in the winter, so until the price comes down in a month or two when we have southern zucchini coming north, I'm doing pasta... but Mindy, I'm so glad you liked them! Lacey was the one who brought them to my attention two years ago, and it's been a loving relationship!!! They're so good as long as they're not overdone!!! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, that's why I prefer sautéing them. Less opportunity to overcook. I can't believe both you and Jan have mentioned them being so expensive, though, when they're not here. Unless transporting them and other produce items in the winter is just more costly. Weird.

      Delete