Wednesday, January 16, 2019

On a Cold Winter's Night

The oven is still broken - no time to get a workman here since he only comes during the day when I'm at work - so I improvise. This was dinner last night.



But I love it, so eating a variation each night really isn't a hardship.

But these cold winter nights have me hankering for some comfort food. To me, that says pot pies. Since I can't cook one at the moment, I figured I'd share one of my favorites that I've done before. I'll just pretend I get to eat it!

Salmon Potato Cheddar Pie

I really should call it Cheddar Salmon Cheddar Potato Cheddar Pie.

I'm guessing you figured out the key ingredient. :)

The recipe is one of my creations and it's really simple.

First I boiled potatoes and baked the salmon filets.  (The amount of each would vary according to your preferences. I definitely err on the side of potatoes.)


Sacrilege here - but I used deep dish pre-made pie crusts. This is easy, remember.  Those of you who are pie crust whizzes, feel free to whip up your own. I pre-bake the crust for about ten minutes, just long enough to make sure it won't be soggy.


Now comes the fun part.

A layer of shredded cheddar, a layer of potatoes.







I added in some sweet onion to this layer. It gives it a nice bite.

More cheddar.

I crumbled the salmon on top.

More cheese and potatoes.




I used the Kraft Triple Cheddar shredded cheese.


Place the crust on top. Then, you guessed it - sprinkle more cheese over the crust.  The first time I did this it was because I only had some broken pieces of crust left over and I was trying to fill it up. It was so delicious that it became an official step in the recipe.

Heat for about half an hour or until everything is heated through and the cheese is nice and melty. I took Fenway for a walk during this part and it was the exact right amount of time.



Enjoy!


Last week (I think), Ruthy shared a spectacular sunrise photo. I snared the matching sunset photo today from my classroom window.  So pretty.


4 comments:

  1. Mary Cate, you're already in your classroom when the sun comes up?
    Did you spend the night there?

    This does look yummy, but I'm not sure how I feel about the salmon. I like salmon, but usually by itself. I don't even care for it in salads. So I might have to substitute some chicken.

    Do you have a microwave? You really need to get that oven fixed, my friend. I know it's a challenge. Is there someone who could wait at your apartment for the repairman?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy's was sunrise, Mindy. Mine was sunset! Although I almost make it to school by sunrise given how late the sun rises these days.

      I've had the same thought about chicken. The thing with my stove is the igniter - sometimes it ignites and sometimes it doesn't. I was craving this made with chicken tonight and took a chance and bought the ingredients. Stove went on so it must have been meant to be. I'll report back!

      Delete
  2. You still shouldn't be at school when the sun is setting!!!! This reminds me of a vegetarian pie I haven't made in years...dare I say decades? Lots of veggie and cheese and it was yummy. I'm going to have to hunt it down because now I have a craving too.

    ReplyDelete