Monday, January 14, 2019

Egg Roll Bowls

Jan here, with another healthy and simple meal. Actually, Ruthy shared a similar recipe a year ago or so, but it's worth repeating!

We have this one quite often, mostly because it is SO easy!



Here's what you need:

1) Protein. I often use ground beef or diced chicken, but you can use any kind of protein you want. Pork, tofu, scrambled egg... Sometimes I even mix and match.

2) Veggies. I use a bag of coleslaw mix as my base, and then add whatever I have on hand. Onions are always good! Slivered carrots, corn, snow peas, chopped kale, garlic.... Again, I often mix and match.

3) Oil and other liquids. I love to start with sesame oil to soften the onion and garlic, and finish off with soy sauce. Oyster sauce adds a nice flavor, too, but I don't have that very often. You really don't need very much liquid - enough cooks out of the cabbage.

4) Herbs and spices. Don't forget the ginger! A couple teaspoons of ground ginger MAKES this dish. Add other flavorings as you like - cilantro is great, and so is a dash of cayenne.

Set your burner to medium heat.

Use a big pot (I use my 3 quart cast iron dutch oven - it's like a deep frying pan). Cook your meat then add your veggies. Pile the sliced cabbage on until you think the pan is going to overflow...then add another handful.

As the cabbage cooks down, stir the mixture carefully. It only takes about five minutes for the veggies to cook through without turning to mush. 

Taste, and add more soy sauce if needed.

Serve in a large bowl either as it is, or serve it over a bed of rice.

Yummy!


One reason for our quick dinner this week is that the weather has been warm and mild! It won't last, so we take advantage of the break to take refreshing trips up into the Hills.


We really don't need an excuse to go hunting for these views, do we?


*sigh* 

There was no wind the day we were up here, in one of our favorite spots just west of Mt. Rushmore, and all was silent. A few pecks from a woodpecker. A chickadee's chatter. Silence.



There's nothing like it to refresh my soul.



Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

9 comments:

  1. I love dishes like this! For folks who love lo mein, adding broken in half cooked al dente spaghetti into this gives you a great lo mein, and the oyster sauce makes it really taste like lo mein.

    Our local stores don't have oyster sauce so when we're in the much bigger town near Rochester, we grab a couple of bottles. Jan's right, a half bottle makes a full meal for five of us... It's just enough to make everything cling and deepen the flavor.

    Jan, what a perfect low-carb version. This is marvelous! And those pictures.... oh my stars, stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing I love about this dish is that it's so versatile. Different sauces give different flavors, you can mix up the veggies, add noodles or rice...or not.

      And so easy!

      Delete
    2. I love easy. I'd rather write books!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love egg roll bowls, Jan, but I always seem to forget about them. I need to remedy that, so thanks for the reminder.

    Don't you so enjoy being able to escape to nature? That is one thing I have truly come to appreciate living in the woods. I can talk a walk and actually listen to nature without those annoying traffic sounds or anything mechanical. Just bask in the sounds of nature. It's truly a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escaping to nature... Yes, I love it.

      We've lived other places where we've been able to head into the woods or other walking trails, but never as secluded and quiet as this. Even in the middle of summer when our millions of tourists visit, you can find a quiet spot to hike or picnic.

      Delete
  3. I'm all agog over the part of the world you get to call home. Breathtaking. Our weather has been mix of thaw and freezing temps too but it sure isn't as pretty in the city as it seems to be in the country. Mostly brown slush that freezes over and makes walking treacherous. :-) Love the idea of egg roll bowls -- never heard of them! Sounds like something I could easily make up into a single serving dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS breathtaking. :-)

      I remember living in Michigan and experiencing that brown slush that freezes. We always welcomed a fresh snowfall because it covered all of the ugly in soft mounds of sparkling white snow.

      Here, we're so dry that the snow often evaporates before it melts. The sun comes out and the snow turns to slush, but it's gone before it can get too dirty.

      You'll have to try the egg roll bowls. They're great for one - just use a smaller pan! :-)

      Delete
    2. You two have cited the major difference.... country snow stays pretty until you get to the street....

      Urban or suburban snow gets nasty really quick, but when it's freshly fallen, gosh that's a sight, isn't it? On all the buildings and trees?

      I do love four seasons!

      Delete
  4. I read this yesterday, but I have trouble commenting from my phone. This is so intriguing, Jan. Why have I never had this? (Or even heard of it?) Must try!

    ReplyDelete