Saturday, August 19, 2017

Random summer meals

Hello, everybody! Mary Jane here and I didn't cook anything really new this week, but I started to think about the strange food we eat in the summer: a mishmash of this and that and the other thing. I thought I'd take some pictures and share the weirdness. Maybe one of these sounds good to you!

                                                      
First of all, corn. Are we the only people eating fresh corn at every meal?? We have some many wonderful friends and relatives who bring us corn, and we grow our own, too. Delicious!
 Also, cucumbers. Oh my goodness. One of my favorite foods. I could eat cucumbers all day.
                                                           
 But some days I like to make a little tzatziki salad with it. Chopped cucumbers, a cup of sour cream, a dash of lemon juice, salt, pepper, and dill. YUM.
                                                          
I could easily be vegetarian most of the time, but I have some meat eaters in the house that would disapprove if all our meals were corn and cucumbers. So... pork chops.
                                                        
Now, strangely I'd been CRAVING fried pickles!! So, we bought some garlicky dill pickles and chopped them into smaller pieces.
 Coated in flour, egg, spices, and dash of Slap Yo Mama.
 Oh, we also decided to make fried mushrooms. Why? Nobody knows.
 MMMMMM. Fried pickles and tzatziki!! Is that a weird summer meal, or what? But it hit the spot!
 We're into those long dog days of summer where it feels like the heat will never end, but I know that fall is just around the corner. I hope you're enjoying the time with friends and family!
Be sure to stop by my author page at Virginia Carmichael or Mary Jane Hathaway for all my book enws!










1 comment:

  1. MJ, I only wish I could eat corn everyday. I love the stuff. And you reminded me that I have a couple of ears in the fridge, along with cucumber, so guess what we're eating tomorrow.

    I agree with you about strange meals in the summer. It's hot, we don't want to cook, and let's face it, we're busy entertaining kids or simply trying to stay cool. Meals are later and we sometimes forget to eat at all, so late dinners are whatever we have in hand.

    These last couple of weeks the heat has been downright oppressive here. I'm ready for some 80-degree temps.

    ReplyDelete