Friday, February 24, 2017

Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot...Oatmeal with Toasted Coconut

Missy Tippens

I think I already said this in a previous post: I love my Instant Pot electric pressure cooker! One of my new favorites is to make steel cut oats for breakfast. I really enjoyed this particular recipe.

I discovered this on Pinterest. Click here to find the original recipe on a site called Flavorrd: Mastering the Art of Feeding Ourselves.

I won't list the full recipe but will describe how I made it.



One of the nice things about an Instant Pot is that you can sauté things. So I toasted the coconut and the oats in the pot before adding the liquid ingredients and pressure cooking. Oh! I almost forgot. I also decided to toast some chopped pecans along with the coconut and oats.

I used almond milk because I didn't have any coconut milk (which would have made it even better!).



Once the sautéing is done and you add the other ingredients, it's time to set the pot manually. I only cooked for 2 minutes on high pressure. Then I allowed about 10 minutes for a natural cool down and depressurization. With anything milky or starchy you can't release the steam too soon or you'll have foam shooting out (don't ask me how I found this out!). :)

Here's a zoom in of the mystery photo bomber behind the cooker in the previous photo! :)




Now, after waiting for the pot to cool, I was able to open it and we have fully cooked oatmeal (yet it still has a little bite to it so it's not mushy)!


It's so good with the toasted coconut, pecans, brown sugar and cinnamon. Mine isn't nearly as pretty as the website where I got the recipe. I forgot to save coconut to put on top! And I think I got a little carried away with the brown sugar and cinnamon. :) YUM!


6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! And I bet that Instant Pot is crazy fun. Think of how long pressure cooking has been around, and someone brings it back in a new, automated form and it's selling like crazy.

    They built a better mousetrap!!!!

    I love oatmeal. I don't take time to eat it often, or make it unless it's in cookies, but I should. Because what could be bad about coconut, pecans, oats and brown sugar??? Actually, that's how I make broiled icing!!! No wonder it's good, Missy!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruthy, we could ice a German chocolate cake with this! haha

      Delete
  2. You have me convinced to put an Instant Pot on my wish list! I can't believe how quickly it cooks - which is necessary for writers, isn't it?

    Of course, I can still use these ingredients in my old fashioned oatmeal, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Jan! It just takes a long time for steel cut oats. But try it with instant oats and it should be good as well!

      Delete
  3. I love everything about this, Missy. Yum.

    And the dog is adorable. Is he yours or are you dogsitting? Sorry if I should know this already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate. he's our dog. Our little old man. LOL (He's 14.) But we do still dog sit on occasion for our son and DIL. They have a pit bull mix (the one I've shared photos of on FB) and another that's a mix that's mostly a herding breed. She herds all of us! :)

      Delete