Monday, March 12, 2012

Taste of Home Pistachio Cake for St. Patrick's Day!


This delightful recipe first appeared in Taste of Home magazine (per their website) in the Dec/Jan issue, page 35. It became a crowd-pleasing favorite, first because it's absolutely delicious, second because it was green! How delightful!  And third?  You got it! Easy-Peasy!

So here it is, Pistachio Cake from Taste of Home!


Ingredients

  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) white cake mix
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 cup lemon-lime soda
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • FROSTING:
  • 1-1/2 cups cold milk
  • 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant pistachio pudding mix
  • 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
  • 1/2 cup pistachios, toasted
  • Whole red shell pistachios and fresh mint, optional

Directions

  • In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes; stir in walnuts.
  • Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
  • For frosting, in a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with pistachios. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes before cutting. Garnish with whole pistachios and mint if desired. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12-15 servings.

7 comments:

  1. You're stretching my palate again! Can you believe I've never had pistachio anything?! Will I be brave to try this recipe? Stay tuned to find out! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this looks good! I love pistachios! In fact, I have a recipe I made the other day that uses them to coat fish. I'm going to share that soon.

    Kav, be sure to buy a bag of shelled nuts. They're a little harder to find, but you don't want to have to shell them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to actually make it this week... I was speedbo-ing and getting ready for puppy-mania this weekend... and ten loads of laundry, LOL! So I had to nip the pic and the recipe. And it seems to me that the last time I made it, I actually used a pudding/whipped cream mixture in the middle, so it was custard filled and studded with pistachios.

    AMAZING. And easy. And if you love pistachios (I do) it's just so delightful. It makes a great summer cake, too, because it's delicious cold.... Now I want some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something my hubby would love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linnette, I hope it's as good as I remember. I loved it. Can't wait to try it again. And while I was looking for this recipe, I saw some others... an Italian Cream version. How on earth could that ever be considered BAD???

      Right? Oh, yum.

      Delete
  5. You know, most of the time I end up saying something in my comments about my dear husband or the boys not liking the recipe - but they love pistachios!

    I'll have to put the ingredients on this week's grocery list. I've signed up to take a meal to some new parents in our church at the end of the week, and this sounds like a great dessert for them - - so I'll make two!

    And Ruthy, I thought about you and your Golden pups this weekend - watched our neighbor's Golden slam head first into a chain link fence... I hope yours have a few more brains than this one does!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Jan, Goldens are sweet and funny, but they do silly things sometimes. It's like they look through the fence, not at it, right?

    But... one of mine figured out how to run the battery down on her Invisible Fencing collar by standing close enough to the fence to be warned... letting it beep.... and when the collar battery was weaker, she'd jump through and head off on a red dog party of one.

    Oy... Now she gets no warning, so she stays away, but isn't that smart? I wouldn't think of that. I'd just say, "Oh, I'm not supposed to go over there, it hurts, so I won't do it."

    Or I'd risk the zap and run through, LOL!

    ReplyDelete