Saturday, March 24, 2012

Saturday Scones with Tina Radcliffe

Last September I was fortunate to attend the Puyallup Fair  in Washington State and sample Fisher Scones (live!) for the first time. Trust me, they are amazing.
But you can make them at home and it’s easy, because you know I ONLY do easy.

If you can’t find this box in your grocery store you can buy Fisher Scone mix on Amazon, but keep in mind on Amazon it’s a 72 ounce box. I am using an 18 ounce box.




Just follow the simple directions:
Preheat oven to 425
You will need a full package of mix and ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons of cold water.
1.      Place water and mix in a medium bowl. Stir with a spoon or fork until blended. Dough will be slightly sticky. This would be the point at which you add raisins or anything else you can dream up.


2.      Knead dough 5-6 times on a generously floured board, folding dough in half on top of itself each time. (I actually failed pie baking and could do this!) 
3.      Divide dough into 3 pieces. Pat each piece into a 5-inch diameter dome, with the center slightly higher than the outside.


4.      Cut each done into 4 wedges. Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet. (Okay, I ended up with a few more wedges because my math is a little skewed.)





5.      Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown. I baked mine 15 minutes because I’m at a higher altitude. And I brushed the tops with pure maple syrup a minute before they were done. Yum!


 Enjoy!
Tina Radcliffe can be found NOT cooking at her web page www.tinaradcliffe.com

10 comments:

  1. Mmmm, this mix is going on my Amazon wish list immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the need to point out that my name has an e on the end but it's only fair it's wrong as I spelled Fisher wrong.

    And last year I spelled Tippens wrong in Seekerville.

    OKAY SO NOW WE ARE EVEN MISSY!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed it! Sorry, I didn't catch that when I copied and pasted the name, I missed the "E" at the end!!!

    OY!!!! ;)

    And we've got Fisher right now, too, although I know a "Fischer" family, so I didn't think a thing of that!

    Tina, I want to eat these. Now. Like, right now. So stinkin' yummy!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tina! You made baking scones sound easy and scones intimidate me even though I am a decent baker. Thank you - that's from my mouth. My waistline does NOT thank you.

    Today is Saturday which means I get a cinnamon scone at Barnes & Noble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so NOT even, RadcliffE!! See, Ruthy did it!

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wondered why scones were almost triangular. This is the first time I've really paid attention to how you form them.

    Thanks for sharing, Tina! I'll add that mix to my Amazon wish list! :) I'm with you. I'm all for EASY recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh -- here's another case of cultural differences. a) Canadian amazon doesn't carry the scone mix :-( and b) our scones up here are always round. I've never seen them cut up into wedges like that. Pretty nifty way to make them, I think. I do have a scone recipe and have successfully made them before but they can be iffy atleast for me. Has anyone tried lavendar scones? Start drooling now. They are to die for!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kav, I haven't tried the lavender ones but think they sound wonderful! I just watched the Pioneer Woman make vanilla ones this morning. She used vanilla beans and then iced them with vanilla infused glaze. Looked amazing! I printed the recipe and will try them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Missy and Tina.

      (read that in a sarcastic tone of voice!)

      I'm sitting in a motel with no hope of food until my dear husband gets done wazzing out after an 11 hour drive across the plains, and you have to talk about vanilla scones. With glaze.

      At least there's a Cracker Barrel within walking distance...

      Delete
  9. OOH, it's on her blog.

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/03/petite-vanilla-scones/


    Kav, next time I am mailing to Canada I will send you some.
    I like to do all my international mailings in bulk.

    ReplyDelete