Friday, March 2, 2012

Corn and Cheese Chowder

Missy, here. Since Ruthy mentioned chowder yesterday, it reminded me of a wonderful Corn and Cheese Chowder that I recently made. It's so easy. And very good! I got the original recipe from Food Network while watching Ree Drummond's show. Click here for the original recipe.

Here's my version:


4 Tbs. (1/2 a stick) of butter
1 whole, small onion chopped
3 slices bacon, chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 a large bag of frozen corn (I'd guess about 12 ounces)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups half-and-half
2 cups grated cheese (I used Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In large soup pot, melt butter and add onions, cooking until transluscent. Add bacon and cook another minute or so. Add bell pepper and cook a couple of minutes. Add corn and cook until it appears to have thawed.

Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables and then stir to combine. Pour chicken broth in and stir well. Allow to thicken for 3 or 4 minutes and then reduce heat to low.

Stir in the half-and-half, cover and simmer about 15 minutes until it thickens.


Stir in the cheese until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve and enjoy!! This is so delicious! Thank you, Ree, for this fantastic recipe!

12 comments:

  1. LOL, Missy. I commented yesterday that I love corn chowder. I'll have to try this because my husband is always looking for a good corn chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, I'm with you!

    Missy, this looks wonderful! And I love that it's got that smidge of smoke from the bacon.

    Oh, yum, it's chowder week at the Yankee Belle Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, chowder week when the temps are in the high 70's here in Georgia! :)

    Mary, I hope your hubby likes this one. I couldn't believe how easy this was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've inspired me this week YankeeBelle. I've never had chowder, can you believe that? So I googled vegetarian chowder and got one that looks pretty close to this one but with more veggies and spices. I'm going to try it on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay, Kav! You'll enjoy a warm, creamy soup. :)

    I bet this one would be good made with vegetable broth and leaving out the bacon. As long as you eat cheese. But I don't think you're vegan, are you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not a vegan, though I enjoy lots of vegan recipes. But I eat eggs and dairy too. :-) I'm excited about the idea of a warm, creamy soup because it's COLD here and SNOWY when it's not FREEZING RAINING. Gah!

      Delete
  6. Mmmm Mmmm good! I love corn chowder...

    but again, my dear husband doesn't. Maybe he just has a thing about foods starting with "c"? Crab? Corn? Canadian bacon? No, he loves Canadian bacon.

    Last summer, my dear mother-in-law told me how she has dealt with 63 years of living with a picky eater, and how the children (all 8 of them) picked up their father's eating habits instead of hers. Sigh. I wish she had told me this 30 years earlier... I'm the lone eater of delicious foods at my house.

    Back to the chowder - I've always made this with ham instead of bacon, but I'll have to try it for that smoky flavor. It's still cold enough up north for chowder, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 64 degrees here right now, Jan. So I'm having a salad today! :)

    Enjoy! You can just freeze it in individual servings for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so good! I love corn chowder, but have never tried making it from scratch, Im going to have to save this recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, where was I last week? Oh, I remember. Nursing a head cold. Oy!

    Now that that's behind me....

    Missy, I saw Ree make this too and thought, "YUM!" So much so that when hubby took me to Mimi's on Friday, I ordered it. OH. MY. GOODNESS. It was heaven. And full of fat, I'm sure. But SO worth it.

    Maybe I'll have to make it one of these days. Maybe I'll try the fat free half and half.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mindy, I know. I was watching that show and jumped up to print the recipe. :)

    We just ate at Mimi's last night. I love the Cobb salad! Of course, the best part of ordering a salad is the amazing muffin that goes along with it! :)

    ReplyDelete