Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Chocoholic Field Trip with the Texan

Mindy here. I'm in Ouray, Colorado this week, doing some research for my latest story. I absolutely LOVE this town. And I love, love, love Mouse's Chocolates & Coffee. Yes, all you coffee lovers would love this place times two!


Mouse's has THE best chocolate I've ever tasted. Better than Godiva, Ghirradelli, Lindt.... You name it, I'll put Mouse's up against it. Part of their secret is they use only Belgian chocolate. And it is SO good.







When I stopped in Monday, they were making chocolate covered bunnies. But not your store-variety marshmallow bunny. Marshmallow yes, but atop a layer of homemade caramel. Oh, my.

Truffles are one of my all-time faves. And Mouse's has a huge variety. They change seasonally, but these dark chocolate truffles are a constant.

One of their signature items are the marzipan mice. Aren't they cute?


But the one thing you absolutely have to try at Mouse's is one of their "Scraps" cookies. All of their chocolate is made in the shop. The "scraps" are set aside for cookies. When it's time to make cookies, they use a family recipe for the dough and then add the scraps. You might find pieces of truffles, toffee, caramel, nuts, or any other chocolate item in the shop. No two cookies are alike. But they are definitely yummy. And baked fresh every day.


No, Mouse's is not part of my research. However, a writer must have the proper level of chocolate in their system to perform at their best.

Now that I've left you all drooling... Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. Mindy, I'm definitely drooling!!! Wow. I'll have to Google them and see if they do mail order! :)

    Have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...my...goodness!!!! Sign me up to work there!!!! I love chocolate marshmallow bunnies...and marzipan mice! And any other chocolate critter you can dream up -- even turtles. :-) And what a neat idea for the cookies! Sigh, I live in the wrong country! Enjoy your research while carefully balancing your sensitive writer psyche with just the right amount of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, I never thought I'd hear you say you like mice and bunnies. To eat that is. I know, only the chocolate variety. That's okay. You wouldn't catch me eating a mouse either:-)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I just saw your link, Mindy! They do sell online!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great website! Click on CATALOG to INSPIRE DROOLING!!!!

    Oh my stars, Mindy... Where is Ouray??? Okay, found it, not close enough to have TEEEEEENA and Audra-kins road trip over there and buy me chocolate.

    Oh, yowza, how delectable? And only Belgian chocolate, hmmm?

    I sense a book coming on. A book surrounding Belgian horses and chocolate. Maybe Amish.

    :) Lovin that shop, what a great mouth-watering post for this person who gave up chocolate for Lent.

    I'm already planning a basket, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you can buy online, but it's kind of expensive. Not that they're not worth it. And when I went in to take pix yesterday, they told me they had just done a photo shoot for their new website. I didn't get a pic, but they had this bark they only sell around July 4th. White chocolate with dried cherries and blueberries. YUM!

    Ruthy, maybe next time I'm out here Audra and Tina could join me. Even you. Of course, morning meetings would have be at Mouse's:-)

    ReplyDelete