Saturday, March 31, 2012

Captain Jack's Mulligan Stew!

Jack, here!


Well, now, and it's about time that the women of Seekerville took a back seat and allowed a real man into the cafe...


And none of that girly coffee today! Unless it's rum-flavored. Which I happen to have handy right here, at m' right hand! Savvy?






Mulligan stew... That's a pirate's way of sayin' what's available goes into the pot, but today's version will put meat on your bones. And a sparkle in your eye! (That may or may not be the rum in the coffee).

MULLIGAN STEW

Beef... Start with a nice Chuck Roast, something with some fat to the lean, kind of like some ladies I know but will not name for fear of repercussion! The women in my life take not kindly to terms like plump, chunky, solid or fat...


Beautiful.... Now that, they ken to!


Savvy???? 
On to the recipe!


1 Chuck roast
1 onion, chopped
3 quarts water
3 Tablespoons Beef Base OR 8 bouillon cubes OR 2 large cans beef broth and leave out the water
6 dashes Worcestershire sauce. Or more. 
Generous fresh-ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic or two crushed cloves. (sent from Mainland by Seekers)


Simmer together most of the mid-day. Once meat is tender, remove to plate, cool and cut into chunk-sized pieces.




 Toss fat to wild boars on lee side of mountain, imagining roast pig for fall consumption. It pays to plan ahead on an island!!!






Add chunks of meat back to stock pot. Toss in with a rogue hand:


6 large potatoes, chunked
6 large carrots, chunked
2 stalks celery, cut into chunky slices 


(Are you getting the theme of the day, lasses???  I'm a pirate who appreciates the chunky side of life... And love!  Aaaarrrrrrrr!!!)


Bring back to boil. Simmer for 35-40 minutes. Add sweet green peas, if desired for last five minutes.


Make thin paste from 1/2 cup flour and 2 cups water, more or less. Whisk until no lumps appear.... Add enough of this to stew base to thicken broth slightly. Not too thick, because the dumplings will help thicken it, too. Dumplings are funny that way. I knew a dumpling of a girl, once...


Kate was her name. Lovely...  Just... 
Aaarrr! Where were we? 




NOW:  A pirate's trick for sure as long as the women keep me stocked!  






2 cups Bisquick
3/4 cup milk


Mix together. Drop by spoons full onto hot stew. Cover. Cook until dumplings are done.


Serve.


Smile. Prepare for an evening beneath the stars and if you gaze west at night's commencement, Venus will shine her light of love upon you with a tip of her hat toward a waxing moon.




All pirates wear their hearts on their sleeves for yon Venus!





5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I think that wild boar looks too cute to eat. Think Wilbur or Babe. Maybe you could keep him as a pet instead, Captain Jack, since all the Seekerville maidels have up and left you!

    I'll pass on the chunk of meat in my stew but I make a mean sweet potato curry stew that's just as hearty. Honest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you believe I've never made dumplings with a beef stew?! I never even thought to try it. Will do so soon!

    Kav, I want that stew recipe! Will you share it with us here? Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jack, my carna-boys will be thanking you for this recipe when I make it! Meat, potatoes, carrots, dumplings...what more can they ask for? (other than more meat!).

    I'm ready for some home-cooked meals after being on the road for more than a week...I think this will have to be on the menu VERY soon.

    And Kav, you don't want a wild boar for a pet. Don't think of him as Wilbur, think of him as a rogue chain saw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pig not withstanding the stew looks phenomenal!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, the stew SOUNDS phenomenal, but I hafta say that chunk of meat LOOKS gross just flopped there on the plate! I'm sure it tastes wonderful, however, and my hubby would love this recipe. He adores stew. He says he adores me, too, and I'm definitely on the chunky side.

    Ruthy, somehow I can't picture you sharing your kitchen with Captain Jack, but when he brings along such a tempting recipe I guess it's hard to resist his charm.

    Thanks, Jack. Stew and dumplings sounds like the perfect recipe for a chilly springtime dinner.

    ReplyDelete