Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Bit O' Green in the Slaw Wi' Julie Lessman!

JULIE LESSMAN’S BIT O’ THE GREEN
SIDE DISH IN DEMAND:
BROCCOLI SLAW

As an author of books about a passionate Irish family, I thought I’d give you a bit o’ the green today since St. Patty’s Day is just weeks away. This is one of those a sure-fire side dishes that people ask me to bring more than any other recipe because it’s just that good! It can take the place of a salad, is great for picnics or BBQs and the minute people taste it, they are passionate about it from that point on. It’s simple, easy and just plain dee-lish! Ready? Here we go:




Recipe: Broccoli Slaw
Serves: 10 - 15

Dressing: Mix together and refrigerate overnight.

¾      1/3 cup white vinegar
¾      ½ cup vegetable oil
¾      ½ cup sugar
¾      Beef seasoning packet from beef ramen noodle package

Slaw Mix: 1 hour (or more) before serving, mix the following together:

¾      6 green onions, sliced
¾      1 cup sliced almonds
¾      1 cup salted sunflower kernels
¾      1 pkg. broccoli slaw mix (buy in salad section of produce)
¾      1 package ramen noodles, broken up
¾      Dressing (as given above and shaken well)



I garnish by dotting with tiny oval tomatoes cut in half, but you can garnish with red or green peppers, cucumbers or any other pretty vegetable in your fridge









Julie Lessman is an award-winning author whose tagline of “Passion With a Purpose” underscores her intense passion for both God and romance. Winner of the 2009 American Christian Fiction Writers Debut Author of the Year and Holt Medallion Awards of Merit for Best First Book and Long Inspirational, Julie is also the recipient of 13 Romance Writers of America awards and was voted by readers as “Borders Best of 2009 So Far: Your Favorite Fiction.” Chosen as #1 Romance Fiction Author of the Year in the Family Fiction magazine 2011 Readers Choice Awards, Julie was also awarded #1 Series of the Year in that same poll and #3 Author of the Year, #5 Novel of the Year and #4 Historical Fiction Author of the year.

Julie resides in Missouri with her husband, daughter, son and daughter-in-law and new granddaughter, and is the author of “The Daughters of Boston” series, which includes A Passion Most Pure, A Passion Redeemed, and A Passion Denied. Her “Winds of Change” series features A Hope Undaunted, which ranked #5 on Booklist’s Top 10 Inspirational Fiction for 2010 and is followed by her most recent release, A Heart Revealed. You can contact Julie through her website at www.julielessman.com.

15 comments:

  1. Yum, Julie!! I make this with slaw cabbage but have never seen it made with broccoli slaw. I'm sure I'll love it! Just bought a bag Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the recipe, Julie! It looks wonderful, and so pretty. My dear husband always says we "eat with our eyes".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knew broccoli slaw recipes could be so popular? I'm eager to give this one a try. Love the addition of almonds...I'm such a boring salad person. YankeeBelle Cafe is expanding my palete! But I haven't heard of the sunflower kernels. Checked the grocery store this morning and couldn't find them. Maybe it's a Yankee thing -- or a Belle thing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have sunflower kernels (or seeds) out west, Kav. I usually find them in the produce section, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the mix of textures in here, Julie.

    I read once that for a meal to be satisfying (and not leaving you wanting to snack all night) you have to have a mix of textures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kav, we call them sunflower seeds here as well. They're usually with the nuts like cashews and peanuts. And they're often in a jar. You'll find them in the shell as well (in a bag), but you want to buy them shelled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, I'll have to remember that tip about textures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our kernels are on the aisle with the trail mix and nuts, Kav.

    This looks super yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, MISSY ... HUGE FAIL on my part!!! It's 7:30 PM CST and I just NOW remembered I was on Yankee Belles today ... and I even wrote a note!! PLEASE forgive me!!

    Trust me, you will LOVE this stuff -- it's to die for, that is if "slaw" can ever be "to die for"!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, JAN, I like the way your hubby thinks!! I definitely "eat with my eyes," and my mama always said my eyes were bigger than my stomach -- maybe that's why!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. MARY ... I agree about a mix of textures, and these not only blend well, but the dressing is kind of mix of sweet and vinegar, so it's a great mix too!!

    Trust me, you're gonna love it!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. KAV ... Tina's right ... check with the nuts, and if you don't find them there, then check with the potato chips and snacks, okay? I would ask somebody because they are ESSENTIAL for the taste of the recipe, and make sure they're salted ones, okay?

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Tina and Missy, for helping out with directions on where to find sunflower seeds!

    Oh, boo ... now I'm hungry!!

    Hugs,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Julie, thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, I LOVE broccoli slaw! A gal made it at one of our Sunday school socials and I tried to eat the whole thing. SO good. She gave me the recipe, but I haven't made it yet. Probably because of the fear that I'll eat the whole thing in one setting. Granted, there are worse things I could eat all at once. This would be very easy to rationalize.

    ReplyDelete