Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Getting Ready for Easter

I love Easter.

It is my favorite holy day. And Lent is my favorite season.

Lent invites us to think. To pray. To ponder. Then pray some more. Lent asks us to give of ourselves the way Jesus did...


And to deny ourselves little pleasures, remembering the sacrifice of 40 days in the wilderness/desert, being tempted by the Evil One.

Lent draws us to be better people. To relish God's word. And beg forgiveness for whatever we might have done.

A different time of year, set apart from any other.



But all of this gets us ready for a beautiful, wonderful, glorious celebration of Easter! He is risen! Alleluia!

He is risen indeed! Alleluia! :)

Such joyous words....

We have a series of beautiful services during Holy Week, beginning with Palm Sunday, the Mass of the Last Supper on Holy Thursday... a poignant and tear-filled prayer service on Good Friday.... and then the celebratory Easter Vigil on Saturday night, a true nod toward the catechumens receiving sacraments and the catacombs... where people gathered in hushed secrecy, praying in silence under penalty of death.



I love making feast food for Easter! We make Easter bread, a sweet bread, frosted and decorated with jelly beans or coconut or hard boiled eggs.... I don't do the hard boiled eggs, my sweet tooth would object!   The recipe using the adapted sweet bread recipe from Grandma Eichas (first generation German immigrant) is HERE!!!!   I must have forgotten to take a picture before we gobbled this up, but what a treat this is... head over to the recipe and see.



Crepes for Easter morning..... RECIPE HERE!



And I like to have lamb on Easter but very few in our house like lamb, so ham and beef take the honors..... Beef for the farmer guy, ham because it just feels right.

So what are some of your Easter favorites? I'd love to hear about them!

Ruth Logan Herne loves to cook and bake and play with cute grandkids any chance she gets, but she mostly loves to write great books with unforgettable characters that grab heart... and soul. Find her on facebook, follow her on Twitter, Amazon or Bookbub.... and may your day be filled with faith... hope... and love! 

5 comments:

  1. My mom makes this bread called paska. Its a slovak tradition. Ive not mastered it yet but she always sends me some.
    As for me we love reading and discussing the ressurection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, I agree. Ruminating on the the passion and the resurrection always amazes me. Like true, absolute amazement.

    I've had packzi here, a Lenten tradition at the old Polish bakeries. Is that the same thing or different? I love ethnic traditions and I love using them in stories.

    Connie, thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so much like our family's Swiss bread recipe that my grandmother used to make. Some of our family members still make it. I'm not so great at it, but I'm good at eating it! :-D We usually make it into braided loaves and put it in loaf pans. I like the braided ring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to have ham for Easter. Love love it! I will have to try this bread. Is the bread actually sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo...those crepes look amazing, Ruthy. I love crepes, but they are one thing I've never attempted to make. Need to remedy that.

    ReplyDelete