Monday, December 23, 2013

Crunchy Cereal Mix and Broncos Football

Sorry, everyone. Christmas has temporarily been preempted.

Why?

FOOTBALL!!!!!

Peyton Manning and the Broncos clinched the division title Sunday afternoon, AND Peyton Manning broke the NFL record for the number of touchdown passes thrown in a season!

CLICK HERE to watch Peyton Manning throw all 51 touchdown passes from this season - and be sure to notice what this classy guy says about the record.

It was an exciting game on Sunday afternoon...but even though Christmas was forgotten for about three hours and fifteen minutes, the Christmas baking went on.

I opted to make a batch of cereal mix - aka "Chex Mix" - while I watched the game. That way, if I really got caught up in watching Knowshon Moreno make another stellar run with the ball, the mix would still turn out fine.

This recipe is one for frazzled, distracted, or otherwise-employed cooks.

Easy-peasy! Even if you have to stop to watch Eric Decker catch another Peyton-pass.

Jan's Christmas Cereal Mix

Ingredients:

2 boxes of cereal, approximately 14 oz. each
    I use Great Value corn and rice cereal, but you can use your choice - just nothing presweetened
3 cups pretzels
1 cup mixed nuts
1/2 cup butter
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce


Preheat your oven to 250°. Dump the cereals, pretzels and nuts into the largest pan you own. I use my roaster.


Melt the butter in a pan on top of your stove (or you can nuke it in your microwave). Once it's completely melted, stir in the rest of the ingredients (garlic and onion powders, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce).

Pour the liquid over your cereal mix and stir, stir, stir.

Put the mix in your oven. Wait 15 minutes (and catch some more of the game - did Peyton Manning just throw another pass to Julius Thomas?). 

After 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven. Stir, stir, stir again. Put it back in the oven for another 15 minutes. 

Go watch Matt Prater kick a field goal. (Did you know Matt Prater holds the NFL field goal record? 64 yards!!!!)

Do this four times (or five - you might lose track when the Broncos score another touchdown).

After a total of an hour or so, take the pan out of the oven and let the mix cool - stirring a few times during the cooling process.


Store the cooled mix in bags, containers, or covered bowls...and out of reach of the boys!

One of the great things about this mix is that you can make it with any combination of ingredients.

Don't like nuts? Leave them out!

Are you a Cheerios fan? Add them in!

Dried Cranberries? They're a great addition - after the cooking process!

What's your favorite way to make this time-tested treat?

And don't forget to watch the Broncos play the Oakland Raiders next week! 

You can even snooze through the game like Wynter does..... 








5 comments:

  1. LOL, I'd totally be snoozing along with Wynter. Looks like we have the same taste in sports. :-) I'm a total football dunce and tend to stay that way. Now...if you were watching a gripping sport like figure skating I'd be nail-biting right along with you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Kav! My daughter loves figure skating, and I watch it with her - although she doesn't watch as much as she used to. No time!

      But I'm very selective with my football watching. It can't be just any football. Only Broncos football!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I just love this and haven't made it in years! Thanks so much for reminding me. I need to do this sometime over the holidays.

    Enjoy the victory. Our Atlanta Falcons have had a terrible year. :( I won't get to go to any playoff games this year (not that I brought them any luck last year!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my family would hang me from the yardarms if I skipped this treat! (And if they could find yardarms :) )

      I find it interesting that the three games the Broncos lost this year are the three I wasn't able to watch. Coincidence? I think not!

      Delete