Monday, September 17, 2018

Welcome September with Butternut Squash Soup

With a deadline looming, I'm not cooking very much. Suppers have been pretty simple: hot dogs, salads, sandwiches... but that is all going to change this week.

Soup weather is here! Our weather is turning decidedly fall-ish this week with highs in the 60's, and even the 50's later this week!

As I wrote my menu for this week, I went hunting for some of my favorite soup and stew recipes, and ran across this one that I shared several years ago. I can hardly wait to make it again!

Butternut Squash Soup

I love fall. I especially love fixing those warm, comforting fall soups and casseroles after a summer of salads and wraps!

This soup is so easy - and all because of one simple ingredient.


Did you spot my shortcut ingredient? That bag of squash cubes! Peeled, cubed squash. All set for your favorite recipe.

Does life get any better than this?

Here's the recipe:

Easy Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon butter
1 teaspoon oil - olive or coconut
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (or any other winter squash)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
dash of chili powder for garnish (optional)

Buying the prepared squash saves so much time. The only other prep you need to do is to chop the carrots and onion, and mince the garlic.

Mini-lesson: Mincing the garlic is easy if you have a garlic press. But if yours is in the dishwasher because your son used it to make one of his delicious concoctions, you can mince your clove of garlic this way:

Lay the flat side of your knife on top of a peeled garlic clove.














Smash the knife against the garlic clove with a
sharp rap, then mince.

The veggies look fabulous, don't they?


Saute the veggies in the butter and oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the onion is translucent.

Stir in the squash, broth, salt, pepper and sage. Cook until the squash is tender - about 20 minutes or so.

Remove your saucepan from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.

Run the soup through your blender, half the recipe at a time.

Or use your hand-held blender. Go ahead. I'm not jealous.

Not at all.

Pour into a bowl, garnish with chili powder if desired.


This recipe makes two servings, or one if it's the main course of your meal.

Enjoy!


Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.



You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

9 comments:

  1. I love squash. I absolutely love it. I'm roasting some today, just to have on hand for lunch... or snacks.... it ranks super high on my list of best foods ever, and yet I still haven't made this soup.

    I will rectify that, Jan! Thank you for the wonderful reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your squash is already cooked, this soup is even easier! A super-quick lunch!

      Back in the good old days (when we lived in Amish Country and I bought my produce at farm stands), I would roast a giant squash, puree the golden goodness, then freeze it. Whenever I wanted squash, all I had to do was take a pint of puree out of the freezer. YUM!

      Delete
  2. What I wouldn't give for some soup weather, Jan. Alas, I will have to wait for a while.

    I'd never made butternut squash soup before until I had that hiatal hernia repair surgery back in 2014 and was on a liquid diet for 6 weeks. I mostly lived on smoothies, but they got old after a while and I wanted something savory. I had pureed canned soup, but then I remembered this lovely butternut squash soup I'd had at an ACFW conference, so I went searching for a recipe that I think I actually posted here at the café. The one I used added Granny Smith apple instead of carrot and had no garlic. It also had cream. And after weeks of smoothies, boy was it good. Problem was that it made a huge batch and I was the only one eating it, so I kind of got burned out, but I might need to make it again. Or try your recipe. Love your shortcut. And roasting the squash makes all the difference. Come on soup weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember when you posted that recipe. I'll have to look it up!

      This recipe is great for last minute meals, but you've started me wondering if it would be good as a cold soup? It might be worth trying!

      Delete
  3. Okay, I got distracted from the recipe by the fact you write out a weekly menu!! I'm impressed! I need to get myself more organized.

    I love this recipe! I need to try it soon. I love soup weather (although it's going to be a while before it hits Georgia, I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the weeks when I neglect writing out a menu, I'm always sorry! The menu takes about five minutes to write while I'm going through the grocery store's sale flyer. I add the ingredients I need to my grocery list, and the week is set.

      Of course, there are always those days when I don't follow the menu, so I just shift everything over a day. :-)

      Delete
  4. I love soup! I'm craving soup! But it's still too hot!!!! But our weather is supposed to break midweek. Yay! Then I shall feast on soup! Happy deadlining, Jan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to think of soup simmering on the stove when you're simmering in 90° heat, isn't it!

      But the cooler weather will come. We all know that. Save the recipe until then!

      Delete
  5. I'm so jealous of your cool weather. I feel badly complaining when so many are enduring far worse weather trouble, but this heat has got to go!

    ReplyDelete