Monday, September 24, 2018

Super Lunch Time Salads!

by Jan Drexler

This is a re-run post. We do this at the Cafe every once in a while to free up our writing time. I'm working hard, trying to make my October 1st deadline!

And I'm feeling the downside of writing for a living...too many hours in my office chair. Yes, I walk the dogs regularly, and I try to watch what I eat, but sitting all day takes its toll.

So along with a few of the other gals here at the Cafe, I've gone beyond "watching what I eat" to pulling out my favorite quick, healthy, trimming recipes. And this one is one of my favorites!

In my story, summer is dwindling away to fall, and our South Dakota weather is decidedly Octoberish, so it's time for my favorite October quote:





So we might think it's time for warm stews and fresh bread, right?

Not for my lunches! I still enjoy a salad a couple times a week, even on the cold and blustery days.

So why do I call this a "Super Salad"? Because of all the nutritious goodness that gets packed in the bowl.

Super Lunch Time Salads

Oh, did I mention that this is easy-peasy? Perfect for a quick grab from the fridge on a busy day?

Start with a bowl of lettuce.



I keep a big bowl of torn romaine and iceberg lettuce in the fridge - it's quick and easy to fill my salad bowl with a bunch.

Then add whatever veggies you have. I added some diced cucumber and a bit of sliced onion.

Next, add protein and healthy fats.


On this day I had some leftover roast beef, and I cut up a small avocado. Yum! On other days I might open a can of tuna, or use some leftover chicken, or a quartered boiled egg.

I usually add a sprinkle of these hulled hemp seeds:


They are nutritious and add a nutty crunchy flavor to the salad.

But to make the salad super nutritious, I add this:


That stuff in the mason jar is wonderful. I got the idea from the Trim Healthy Mama cookbook, but used ingredients I had on hand.

1 cup nutritional yeast (NOT baking yeast)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (the powdery kind, in the green can)
2 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon basil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 Tablespoons dry parsley flakes

Mix all of these together (I put them in a one quart mason jar and shake), and keep it in the refrigerator.

Sprinkle it on salads, eggs, soups...whatever you want.

I use just over a teaspoon on my salad.

And add whatever dressing you want to use. Ranch goes well with the beef and avocado!


That's it! All you have to do is toss it around a bit and munch down!

And on those really cold days? I add a cup of steaming hot beef or chicken broth to my lunch.

Do you eat salads in the fall and winter?









Jan Drexler loves her family, her home, cooking and just about anything made by hand. But she loves her Lord most of all.

Stop by Jan's website to learn more about her books: www.JanDrexler.com

5 comments:

  1. Jan, I'm always using leftover meat to make a salad. Steak is my favorite. To the point that I'll cook and extra one just so I'll have leftovers for several days of salads. All that one needs is some sunflower seeds and blue cheese dressing to be perfect. Chicken and such need more ingredients to make them satisfying. Like a hard-boiled egg. Maybe some bacon bits. Notice that even my salads are THM S meals. But if I'm not satisfied, I'm back in the kitchen in an hour, scrounging for something else that will satisfy me. And that makes it hard to keep writing when I'm focused on food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually make my salads an S too for that same reason. If I don't eat enough at a meal, my subconscious gets up from my chair and grabs a snack before I even know what's happening!

      It doesn't help that scenes in my stories quite often center around a meal...

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy! We're cheering you on as you race to the end, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You keep writing, darling, and I love this reminder that salads are not only good for us, they're just plain good.

    And praying for your deadline!

    ReplyDelete