Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Perfect for Potluck


So far this week, we've had lots of desserts and family. Today, I'm bringing you something that's a little the same and a little different.

My daughter was having a pot luck luncheon at her job last week. She knew that one of the ladies is gluten-free, so she wanted to make something this woman could enjoy.

She spent a week running recipes by me, but when I saw this one, I knew she had a winner.  I'm posting a link to the original recipe, but here is her final result.

Butternut Squash, Fennel & Apple Galette



The recipe is from a site called NutritionStripped.
Her description:
"This Butternut Squash Fennel & Apple Galette is not only incredibly beautiful but a crowd pleaser. It’s made with slightly sweet and creamy butternut squash, tart apples, and fragrant fennel- a winning trio of fall flavors wrapped into a rustic gluten free and vegan galette, then sprinkled with fresh herb and a drizzle of olive oil."

Doesn't that sound like an intriguing combination?

All I can tell you is that not only did it garner raves at the luncheon, but apparently it was the only dish that had no leftovers. And people were emailing my daughter for the recipe.

I was not happy about the no leftovers part, and I told me daughter we'd be making this again soon!


In other things...



Mindy posted a picture of her snow yesterday, so I thought I'd show you this one. This is what happens when the weather people predict NO snow for you and then the storm tracks much more to the north than they expected.



I know you're all used to seeing pictures of Fenway, but the cat demanded equal time today. My daughter is away, so Bart wanted snuggles from dad.


Fenway and Dad enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Bart wants to join in.
SUCCESS!

  
Someone is not happy to have his daddy time interrupted. 










My boys.



Not much else going on here. It's winter. It's cold. I'm ready for spring.  Or more snow. We might get that this weekend. So probably not since they're predicting it.

I love snow when it's falling and when it's fresh, but here in the city, it doesn't take more than a few hours for it to look pretty nasty.

So how go things in your neck of the woods?


9 comments:

  1. Cate, I love this kind of recipe! I started coupling apples and squash together in roasts and stir-fries two years back, with just that drizzle of olive oil and some fresh black pepper... I like fennel, but the family might cringe.... but what a perfect pairing!

    And do you remember Almanzo Wilder talking about fried apples and onions? Just imagine doing that to go with pork roast (or not for the vegetarians among us!) The sweet Vidalia onions would be perfect for this. A little bite, and great texture.

    Thank you so much for sharing pics of Fenway and Bart. SO STINKIN' CUTE!!!

    January here is a busy time in some ways... we're doing the outside work that can't get done in the busy summer farm season (and by summer I mean May through October!!!) and any fixing inside has to get done now.... there's no time for projects indoors when spring hits. But it's a great writing time because there's six weeks with the kids not on vacation. So I have my before and after kids but a few hours mid-day...

    Which Dave tries to fill, but I'm getting good at hiding. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that. I had the week after Christmas off. Ted informed me he was taking it off too. He looked at me and grinned and said, "Guess I just messed up your writing week."

      Delete
  2. I love squash and apples together - I'll have to try this recipe!

    In all those pictures of Bart and Fenway, my eyes were drawn to the bookshelves in the background. Beautiful!

    And around here, we have no down time this winter. Between the coming wedding, my deadlines, and two huge projects at hubby's job that he's part of, we'll be ready for spring and easier living. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Jan. That's just the beginning. Maybe I'll try to get the bookshelves in next week's post. Just for you. :)

      Delete
  3. First, I adore the critter pictures. LOL Bart shouldering his way in on the cuddle time. LOL And Bart is a hysterical name for a cat. (Don't tell him I said that, I don't want to hurt his feelings!)

    And this recipe looks yum. Must make it with my daughter. She makes this awesome butternut squash soup and it has apples in it. Sooooooo good.

    We keep getting snow/freezingrain/rain/deep chill in that order every couple of days. Makes for a messy, yucky, treacherous walking surface. And the city can't keep up with the plowing before the plunge in temperatures freezing everything to ice. So I'm looking forward to spring to...but that's like four months away yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Kav. I'm not sure if I told the Bart story here before, but it's how my girls convinced my husband to keep the cat. His father's name was Bartholomew and he always wanted to name a child after him, but we had 2 girls. They told him, if he got them the cat, they'd name him after his father. So Bart came to live with us, though Ted calls him Barty cat because it ended up being eerie hearing his father's name called all the time.

      Delete
  4. That looks yummy! Very interesting to have a savory dish with those ingredients. I bet I would love this!

    Sweet, sweet photos. Bless Fenway for sharing--even if not happily. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm not sure he had much choice.

      I love the sweet-savory mixes.

      Delete
  5. Squash and apples are great together. I always go for new vegetable dishes at a potluck. Thanks for sharing the pictures--our fur babies all need attention and they'll make sure they have it.

    ReplyDelete