Thursday, July 19, 2018

Ginger Battered Fried Chicken Strips



I blame Chick Fil A.

I am addicted.

That doesn't mean I go there all the time. I've been there once since they opened.

But if I could, I would eat their chicken strips and dippin' sauce EVERY SINGLE DAY.

That's an addiction.

Luckily I can fight addiction.

(Picture POWER LOOKING MUSCLE QUEEN RUTHY!!!)

So I figured I'd deep fry chicken strips here.... and I had no beer. Usually I make beer batter, but I had lots of ginger ale, and it's got a great snap, so I made Ginger Ale Batter....

I cleaned the breasts.... sliced them into fingers and strips....



And then coated them with seasoned flour:

1/2 cup flour
Montreal Chicken seasoning (sprinkled in)
Salt
Pepper
Garlic
Paprika and/or Cajun Pepper


Toss those chicken strips in the seasoned flour and set aside.



Heat fryer..... I got to 375 for chicken strips.

Make light batter/somewhat thin:


1 cup flour
Sprinkle in:
Cajun Pepper
A hint of nutmeg
Salt
Pepper
1/2 TBSP sugar
Sprinkle of garlic
Paprika for dash of color
16 oz bottle of ginger ale, as needed for consistency

Mix together, add enough of a 16 oz. ginger ale to make a thinnish batter.

Dip chicken strips in batter, then fry until crisp outside, about four minutes.

Serve hot with sauce or on their own!

I deep fry in the garage so I don't make the house smell all greasy.... And these are such a delicious snack, and I MIGHT HAVE kept a pouch of Chick Fil A sauce to try with Ruthy Chicken...

And it was wonderful!!! :)

So life here is farm-crazy.... I had a book release this week, the delightful "Her Cowboy Reunion", a real love story that makes you smile... cry... and sigh right before you smile again.

It released two days ago and I can't wait to see what folks think of this beautiful story and this wonderful Western series... from a gal who loves writing Westerns!

We're planting 800 more mums and asters today, so you know what I'm doing first thing in the morning!

And I got the second coat of gray paint on the porch....

That's looking north....

And now south:





And then there's the project I handed over to Casey, a little reindeer doll up (out of season!)







Great-grandma's reindeer are about twenty years old, I think, and they needed an upgrade so Casey's been sanding them down and we're giving them fresh reindeer paint. :)

Once the reindeer are done, we'll pull out Santa and the sled..... so we can do our fun Christmas display that's come down 4 generations now.


 Lest you think I'm crazy organized, Santa and the reindeer were on last year's schedule... :)

But hey, they'll be high-steppin' out to the front yard with their fresh new look this November!!!

And that's what we've got going here... wishing you all the blessings of a lovely summer... and if you're Down Under, a blessed fall and winter!

And as the chrysanthemums take over the world as we know it....

I bid you adieu from Western New York!

Ruth Logan Herne is doing what she loves best in her big, old farmhouse... hanging with farm stuff, baking cookies, tending cute kids and knowing she's blessed beyond belief to have such choices and opportunities. Write to her at loganherne@gmail.com, friend her on Facebook and/or stop by her website ruthloganherne.com!

10 comments:

  1. This has gone into my favorites. I don't usually fry because of the smell, but I could make an exception. We do the pot method because I just dont desire fried food that much. The oven is my friend. I thought you were going to celebrate Christmas in July! Santa and the crew will look good as new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, good morning!

      No Christmas in July here, but by the time pumpkin season is done, there's no time to refurbish this display and I kept meaning to get it done... so I hired my buddy Casey (college sophomore) to help with mums and painting, and she's amazing. And the deer are feelin' the love! :)

      Here's something I noticed about this recipe... the batter doesn't crisp up and stay crisp like beer batter does. Must be the yeast component in beer?

      The flavor's great, but the outside softened within minutes so I'll use beer the next time and see how it comes out. I like at least a slightly crispy outside and a juicy chicken inside.

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAH I read the title and thought, Ruthy has come over to the dark side. She's cooking healthy with ginger. HAHAHA ginger ale. I love it.

    Okay, I don't love that it didn't stay crisp. That's an interesting one. I've been hearing that Wayfair commercial way too much, so now my brain is singing "Beer batter, beer better, Ruthy, she's got just what you need."

    You only won't think I'm crazy if you've heard that commercial and know what an earworm it is.

    Off to take the car in for inspection. I was thinking about how different little things are depending on where you live. For me, this is a huge deal because it means finding a parking place at the end of the day. Not a pretty prospect.

    Hoping your Thursday is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis in your neighborhood, sweet thing.

      And yeah, I wanted crisp... not that it was bad, it wasn't, but I wanted a popcorn chicken kind of crisp outside.

      We're planting second round of mums today, I've never done late mums before so I'm not sure if this will work... but we'll know in seven weeks! :)

      Delete
  3. YUM!! I, too, am addicted to CFA! I could eat it every day. However, my addiction is actually to the waffle fries. :)

    Thanks for sharing, Ruthy! Your porch looks great! Especially the southern view. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Belle, that Southern view is the best! :)

      Now to paint the soffits.... then the soffits over the porch....

      One week on each project. If by the end of summer I have 4 or 5 projects done, I don't hate myself.

      NOT KIDDING.

      Summer is too fleeting around here, and Labor Day kick off for pumpkin season shortens things up even more.

      But a hand full of projects... that's okay!

      Delete
    2. I have never had their waffle fries.

      I have only had chicken.

      My friend said the lemonade thing is to die for.

      WHY HAVE I ONLY HAD CHICKEN?????

      Delete
  4. I think the world could use a chrysanthemum takeover!

    I can't believe how much outdoor work you are getting done in this heat. Your really are superwoman, not that I doubted for a second! Glad the reindeer are getting some much-needed grooming. :-)

    Happy planting, Ruthy.
    P.S. Notice I didn't say a word about the chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You refrained beautifully, my friend!

      And yes, mum takeover would be such a peaceful way of doing business, right?

      And maybe: TULIP TAKEOVER in the spring!

      Except they fade and die quickly, a downer.... May have to rethink that one! ;)

      Delete
  5. Ruthy, one of the very few things I miss about living rural is Chick Fil A, so this recipe is definitely a keeper. I can see where the ginger ale would add that sweetness you find in Chick Fil A's offerings. And hey, it's never too early to get Santa's reindeer spruced up. I mean, if the Hallmark Channel can have Christmas in July, you can, too.

    Oh, and I picked up a copy of Her Cowboy Reunion at RWA. I was so excited! I'm only two chapters in, but loving this new series already.

    ReplyDelete