Friday, June 1, 2018

Dog Surgery: Another Excuse for Not Cooking

Missy Tippens

My four-legged baby had surgery this past Friday. Duke had a tumor that had started growing quickly, was making him uncomfortable, and had to be removed. He's been such a trooper.

Here he is the day before surgery. I don't know if you can see the huge lump on his belly/chest. It ended up weighing about 2 pounds (he only weighs about 42 pounds without it).


And here he is after surgery while he was still fighting the anesthesia. He tried to get up out of his bed but then flopped over and fell asleep on my leg. :) Poor thing couldn't even pull his tongue into his mouth!


And here he is a couple of days later. You'll see in both photos he's wearing a human T-shirt to keep him from bothering the staples. We have to make a ponytail of the shirttail to make it stay on him. :)


Today (Thursday, when I wrote the post), he seems to be perking up. But he's still sleeping a lot. Hopefully healing well.

For an old man (15 years old!), he's doing great. He sends love and licks to those who prayed for his surgery.


www.missytippens.com

9 comments:

  1. I'm so glad he's doing well... And praying for him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is wearing that t-shirt like a boss dog! The snuggle photo is adorable. He will recover quick and be as good as new again! There hasn't been much cooking in our house either. We have had our nieces visiting and one of them is believed to have come with a cold and I have been fighting something fierce all week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hate when kids share germs! Ruthy is a pro at that from her childcare kids. :)

      I hope you feel better, Katie!

      Delete
  3. Aww...poor Duke. He's rockin' that t-shirt, though. I'm so glad he's doing better. I need to get our Dixie in to have what might be a tumor checked out, so thanks for the reminder, Missy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I've learned my lesson to get things checked sooner. This surgery would have been much simpler earlier. But I just kept thinking it was a benign fatty tumor!

      By the way, Duke's turned out to be malignant. But we're hoping they got it all, and that he can live out the rest of his life without a recurrence.

      Delete
  4. Poor Duke! But that picture from yesterday looks like he's on the road to recovery.

    We all hate it when the four-legged furballs are sick, don't we?

    ReplyDelete