Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Salmon Potato Cheddar Pie

This is a repost because it's been a crazy week.

But mainly it's a repost because I've been craving this dinner.

I made chicken pot pie this week and it was good, but as I was making it, my daughter asked, "Don't you usually make salmon pie for yourself?"

I do. And now I want some. I hope you will too.



Salmon Potato Cheddar Pie.

I really should call it Cheddar Salmon Cheddar Potato Cheddar Pie.

I'm guessing you figured out the key ingredient. :)

The recipe is one of my creations and it's really simple.

First I boiled potatoes and baked the salmon filets.  (The amount of each would vary according to your preferences. I definitely err on the side of potatoes.)


Sacrilege here - but I used deep dish pre-made pie crusts. This is easy, remember.  Those of you who are pie crust whizzes, feel free to whip up your own. I pre-bake the crust for about ten minutes, just long enough to make sure it won't be soggy.


Now comes the fun part.

A layer of shredded cheddar, a layer of potatoes.







I added in some sweet onion to this layer. It gives it a nice bite.

More cheddar.

I crumbled the salmon on top.

More cheese and potatoes.




I used the Kraft Triple Cheddar shredded cheese.


Place the crust on top. Then, you guessed it - sprinkle more cheese over the crust.  The first time I did this it was because I only had some broken pieces of crust left over and I was trying to fill it up. It was so delicious that it became an official step in the recipe.

Heat for about half an hour or until everything is heated through and the cheese is nice and melty. I took Fenway for a walk during this part and it was the exact right amount of time.



Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. This looks yummy, Mary Cate. You could add all sorts of stuff to this, but the salmon sounds good. As does the cheese. You can never have enough cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful! Total comfort, but such great ingredients, Cate!!!! Have you ever done it as straight veggie pie? I bet that would be great, too... or turkey pie with leftovers in two weeks!!!!

    What a great idea, it's got that Scottish Pasty kind of thing going for it, and that's never a bad thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scottish pasty thing is exactly what I was going for. I imagine you could add in just about anything that goes with potatoes and cheese. Ground beef would probably work well too.

      Delete