Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Ratatouille Omelette and a Trip Down Memory Lane

Many years ago (too many to count!), one of my first jobs was as a waitress in a French restaurant. The owner was the most superb chef. He was Spanish, but his wife was French, and his cooking was definitely French and out of this world delicious!!!

I don't want to tell you how many times we would go in the fridge and steal spoonfuls of his incredible chocolate chip mousse.

Then there were the late nights when he would feed all of us after the restaurant closed at midnight. It was a heady experience for a high school student to be sitting around the communal table enjoying what Jose whipped up for us. One big family with Brigitte at the head of the table.

One of my favorites was a ratatouille omelette. Never before and never since have I had one made quite so well.

But last night when I was walking home from work (and starving because I'd had only a few mouthfuls of lunch), I decided to do my own version with some leftover summer veggies.

I didn't have any eggplant (and didn't think to buy any).

Mine wasn't Jose's but it was pretty darn tasty.

I'll let the pictures tell the story.


Wonderful summer vegetables. I love the colors!!!

Added some oregano, basil, and garlic.






And then tonight, when I got home after a late church meeting, I had the leftover ratatouille on some leftover Italian bread with garlic and cheese.



Sorry the picture isn't more clear. I was hungry!




But now I want some of that heavenly chocolate mousse!


4 comments:

  1. Oh that looks wonderful!!!! I love veggie omelettes... I love any omelettes, pretty much, and my hens are molting so production is about cut in half... which means customers get the good eggs and I buy some at Sam's Club for baking! Cate, you've inspired me to omelette happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I'm with you on those colors. When I see a photo like that I start craving healthy food. I think our eye tells our brain, "Yes!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this looks wonderful! I like to make omelettes with greens (spinach, kale....whatever is available), but this looks fabulous. Did I see zucchini in there?

    And what great memories of working at a family restaurant! And what great fodder for the stories you create. :)

    ReplyDelete