Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tea Time

Tex here, fresh off of  a long weekend at the ranch. Normally, that would be a good thing, except this time I came back with a nasty cold. SO not fun.
However, that doesn't mean I didn't have fun while I was there. At least, before said cold settled in. Saturday I had the great pleasure of joining my sister-in-law and two of her friends for afternoon tea. 

In the small Texas town of Columbus, there is a quaint little bed and breakfast called Prairie Street Heritage House that serves afternoon tea on the second Saturday of the month. 
The picture doesn't do it justice, but this house was built in the 1860's and has been beautifully restored. Just sitting on a rocking chair on the porch was a treat.

Inside, though, the real treat awaited.
This was our table.

I just love all the beautiful dishes.
Even the tea trivets were elegant.


Finally, we sat down to see what was in store for us.
Good thing I only had half a sandwich for lunch.

There was fresh-made clotted cream, lemon curd and peach preserves for our scones.

Now you all know that I'm a big tea drinker, but let me tell you, sipping out of a cup like this is so much more fun than that big ol' mug I tote around at home.

I just love this.
Couldn't agree more.

Naturally, I had to get a close up pic of the desserts.
So cute and tasty. That cream cheese brownie was about as rich and decadent as anything I've ever put in my mouth. Good thing the portions were small.

All and all a definitively delightful afternoon. So much so that we're already planning our return. I'm thinking this place will be pretty spectacular in December.

In the meantime, pass me the chicken soup because this cold has GOT to go.

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely charming! I'm so glad you gave us this sweet peek into your life. I tend to fill my time so quickly with kids and grandkids and work, that the teatimes of life fly by...

    Which is silly of me! This looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I think we all get so busy we feel guilty for indulging in something that basically requires taking some time out for ourselves. I halfway contemplated backing out because there was work I needed to do at the ranch. I'm glad I didn't, though. I would have missed out on some good food and some good conversation.

      Delete
  2. Really lovely, Mindy. Thanks for sharing such a genteel pasttime. I remember once, years ago, treating myself to a formal tea at a British-inspired teahouse in NYC. I thought I had died and gone to heaven with the scones, strawberry preserves, and clotted cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I could eat clotted cream all by itself. That stuff is SO good.

      Yes, in our fast-paced world, it's hard to believe that tea time used to be, and still is for some people, a daily ritual. But I'm so glad there are tea rooms that keep the tradition alive and allow us to slow down and indulge on occasion.

      Delete
  3. Love tea time. We have a posh hotel that holds a tea every Saturday afternoon. Lovely for mother/daughter bonding time. She loved getting all dressed up and going to tea. We've stopped the tradition though due to late onset food allergies. Hmmm...might have to create a special tea time at home.

    Hope your cold doesn't stay. Silly cold bug shouldn't be hitting you down there with your weather being all toasty warm still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should bring up daughters, Kav. While I was there, I kept thinking this would be a great place to bring my girls. :D

      Stinky food allergies. Perhaps you should come up with an afternoon tea menu that is suitable. Who knows, you might have a new career.

      Delete
  4. Southern tea shops are always so genteel! That is a beautiful shop. And how interesting that it only serves tea one Saturday a month! Is it open for lunches, etc. at other times?

    I found out yesterday that a mother/daughter team are opening a tea shop in our little city. YES! We have coffee shops galore - local and chain - but we tea drinkers have had to make do with a selection of a few teas at the end of the counter. Sort of like the forgotten middle child..... But this new place looks intriguing, with a western flair :)

    I hope your cold disappears soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only one Saturday a month for tea, but it's also a bed and breakfast. The three ladies who own the place have "real" jobs, such as school superintendent, so this is their creative outlet.

      Congrats on the tea shop, Jan. From one avid tea drinker to another, I know how nice it is to have some "good" tea. Not to mention a larger selection.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you were well enough to have tea! What fun. I love beautiful china like that!

    Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well, luckily, Missy, the cold held off until Sunday afternoon, so that was good.

      I'm with you on the china. And it makes things feel even more special when you actually get to use it!

      Delete