Thursday, October 23, 2014

Most Amazing Apple Cake Ever!

I'm not even kidding!!!!!

AND IT'S EASY!

We started with a Sunday afternoon urge to bake. This comes over me and Amanda on Sundays when her husband Paul (Mary Ruth's father) goes to the Buffalo Bills games... and then Amanda comes and hangs out at my house.

Usually I need her to FIX SOMETHING. She's very handy and she built this awesome produce wagon for me this summer.....



But on fall days we like to bake and have football on and sometimes I make her do really fun stuff like scrub off old wallpaper.... She hates that.

But this particular Sunday a few weeks back, we needed to do Apple-y-Goodness. So she found a couple of recipes online and I tweaked them by accident....

And we came up with the most wonderful, splendoriforous apple coffee cake I've ever had. And it all starts with a MIX!

Perfect!

1 Yellow cake mix
2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Blend together on low, then turn to medium for two minutes.




Spread half in greased and floured 13" x 9" pan.

FILLING:  (Mix together)

4 big apples, peeled, cored and chopped (about four cups, I don't think there's such a thing as too much apple!)

Mix together:
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar



Spread apples over the cake batter in pan. Sprinkle with HALF the nut mixture. Drop the rest of cake batter onto top of filling, blend to cover apples....




And then top with rest of streusel swirl deliciousness.



Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-45 minutes.


 We used the toothpick test to make sure it was done. Moist crumbs and applishous goodness are okay on the toothpick. Raw batter (while delicious!) messes with the texture!

Take out of oven....

Now you could add a powdered sugar glaze to this.

Some places suggest caramel syrup, drizzled over it.

It really doesn't need any extra calories, this cake is ABSOLUTELY marvelous and tempting and melt-in-your mouth delicious as is!

We loved it. Everyone loved it. It was a huge success!

#happyhappyhappy

:)



Dave and I went down to North Carolina to visit our daughter, son-in-law and three precious grandchildren over the last weekend, so I'm playing "Catch Up" with work, but what a great time we had!


This is Annie, their youngest.... She's hysterically funny, she talks non-stop, (I wonder where she gets that from?????) and she's just a little bit BOSSY.... Stinkin' cute, right?


And this was from our family celebration.... Katie is standing behind me, on the right, and Nathan is over my right shoulder.... So we had a weekend with these three and LOVED IT!

We spent a half day at Gettysburg on the way down because I've never been there. I was properly humbled by how blessed we are to have had brave soldiers fighting for freedom for generations.

God has certainly blessed America!

5 comments:

  1. I am not going to say a word about you going to NC and not stopping by. Not one word because time with grandchildren is precious.

    I have our grandmother's apple cake recipe. I think she would have loved this. She was a railroadworker/farmer's wife who baked pies and canned everything from soup to tenderloin but she loved Pillsbury canned biscuits. She would have loved this short cut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? No chipotle? ;)

    This recipe looks so easy. Love that. And yes, God has blessed America. Wish more people would remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cake looks delicious. It's going in the file for church dinners :)

    So glad you had time with the NC family! I keep throwing hints to my children to settle close to home when they finally (FINALLY) move out. I want them close...but I know it isn't my choice!

    And Gettysburg....the last time we were there was ten years ago. We spent three days. We bought the tape you can play in our car to do the three hour tour - and spent an entire day on that tour. We had studied the battle ahead of time, so much of our tour was spent with my husband and younger boys (10 and 12 at the time) discussing and walking through each battle scene. Devil's Den was the most awe-inspiring, though. We were there on a hot day, mid-morning, and it really brought home the suffering of the soldiers during that part of the battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds good except for all that apple peeling! I struggled with just one little tater this morning for breakfast...peeling is so boring and time consuming(and dangerous!)

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this recipe! I'll have to try it. I like apples but I'm not wild about them. But I think all that nutty, cinnamon goodness could change my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete