Monday, September 22, 2014

Apple-Granola Quick Bread

This quick bread really is an autumn delight, but it's great any time of the year!



(Editorial note: While this recipe is very good and I can vouch for its tastiness, we have no pictures of the recipe or the finished product to share. Technical error. However, we will be substituting other autumny pictures for your viewing pleasure. You may now return to your recipe.)





Apple-Granola Quick Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup applesauce (preferably homemade)
2 Tablespoons apple butter (preferably homemade)
1/2 cup coconut oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 + 1/4 cup granola (preferably homemade)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Whisk together the applesauce, apple butter, oil, eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.

Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in 1/2 cup granola.

Divide into two loaf pans and sprinkle 1/4 cup granola down the middle of the loaf.

Bake at 350° for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.



Wait a minute! Did I hear complaints out there? You don't think it's fair for me to recommend homemade applesauce, apple butter, and granola?

We've got you covered here at the cafe!

Here's how to make applesauce: Jan's Applesauce.

And then here's Virginia's Caramel Apple Butter.

Then to finish up, Virginia's Dried Cherry and Almond Granola.

Now, no more excuses! :)

A lovely fall day at White Rocks, above Deadwood, South Dakota.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I love recipes that have other recipes inside! That list to the right is really, really long and half the time, I've forgotten to label my stuff right. A recipe that has links to other posts is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great that we have this huge collection of recipes here at the cafe? It's my go-to place when I'm looking for something different to add to the week's menu :)

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy. I was just having a conversation with my daughter yesterday about different grab and go breakfast recipes. She has to get to work really early and she's someone who needs breakfast before starting her day. These muffins sound like they might add some variety to her mornings. Though I've never made apple butter before. Never even tasted apple butter before. But I have a large quantity of apples I just got at the market so I think I'm ready to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab and go breakfasts is exactly why my daughter came up with this recipe (sorry Carrie, I didn't give you credit earlier!). She needs to get out the door quickly in the morning, and cooking breakfast plus packing her lunch just wasn't working. So she started baking quick breads to have for breakfast, and she'll also pack a slice or two to have for dessert with her lunch.

      And you absolutely have to try apple butter! It's like thick, spicy applesauce that you can spread on fresh biscuits. I'm sure there are other uses, too...but the fresh biscuits are the best :)

      Delete
  3. I have apples too. Great new recipe to try. Thanks, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so yummy!! I love a heavy, moist bread. I bet the granola adds just the touch I'd enjoy. Plus, apple butter would give great moisture and flavor. Thanks for sharing, Jan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Heavy moist bread" doesn't sound as appetizing as "cake."

      And we all know that's what quick breads actually are, right? :)

      Delete
    2. I actually think of quick breads as something like I make (from a mix--gasp!) when I'm craving banana or pumpkin bread. I'm assuming this is heavy. BUT WE HAVE NO PHOTO to tell! ;) I'm thinking technical difficulty means y'all ate it too quickly!

      So is this more like a cake texture?

      Delete
  5. I'm late to this party because I was so busy scoldin' folks in Seekerville!!!! You know, Jan, besides this delicious bread, you used your head and reminded me I meant to make Virginia's granola and didn't get to it.

    I love homemade granola and I don't tend to make it because I can't stop eating it, and if you eat the whole bowl, it loses the healthy aspect, LOL! Does the granola give the bread a wonderful texture? I bet it does.

    I love oatmeal cake, have I ever shared that recipe? I will do that, because cake texture is so important! I love the heavy moist ones and the light, airy ones. I love FOOD!!!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing those pretty aspens and the recipe! Have fun this week. I shall cheer you all on from afar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virginia, I love $10/box! Ours are pricier here now, I expect if I went hunting I'd find some cheaper apples but there's a young farmer whose family developed a gorgeous multi-orchard spread over the years, and boy they work hard so I make sure I buy their apples because there are so few young farmers around here. I'm in the thick of upstate apple country, and you have a similar depth of orchards in your neck of the woods. Who knew that apples like their lifespan to be just so????

    I've got Honey Crisps, Ginger Glos and Cortlands right now. Sounds like apple crisp and bread waiting to be born!

    ReplyDelete