Friday, April 4, 2014

The Belle Shares Another Fail

Missy Tippens, here. Dare I share with you another one of my fails?

Since this one turns out happy, I'll go ahead and do it. :) I know I've made shrimp and grits before. But this recipe is a little different. It was a new one I tried, mainly because I was dying to make saffron grits after having them at one of our new favorite restaurants, One Blue Duck. And I thought a lightly seasoned shrimp dish would be nice with the grits.

Shrimp and Saffron-Cheese Grits
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com (click here)


Grits (NOT instant)--amount based on desired number of servings (from package)
Half-and-half--amount based on servings desired (from package of grits)
1/4 cup grated parmesan
3 tablespoons butter
1-1/4 pounds shrimp, peeled and de-veined
2 cloves minced garlic (I use the kind in the jar, about 2 tsp)
Juice of half a lemon (I used the squeeze bottle)
Several threads of saffron


Look at this monster shrimp!  They were North Carolina wild caught. Were huge and gorgeous! Be sure you clean those babies. Peel off the shell and de-vein. (Look it up on Youtube if you don't know how.) Here they are all clean. It's a good idea to rinse them as well to make sure all shell shrapnel is gone.


Now, prepare the grits. I prepare according to package directions, only instead of all water, I mix half water and the rest half-and-half (you can use cream or whole milk if you prefer). This makes them really creamy. While heating the liquids, add in the saffron threads.


Saffron is really expensive. These little threads are precious! When I walked away just to grab a new roll of paper towels, I had a DISASTER.


My milk mixture boiled over. And yes, you can see EVERY SINGLE THREAD of saffron on the stovetop. Where I had to wipe them up and throw them away. And what's worse than milk boiling on a ceramic stove top?? Well, not much except for maybe sugar.

What a mess. I was so mad. Of course, I had to snap a photo so Ruthy could make fun of me. (Enjoy, Ruthy!) :)

SO…

I got the mess cleaned up. And, thankfully, I had some more saffron. I added that and a bit more half-and-half. Then the grits. But this finished off the package of saffron, so I did NOT walk away this time.


Here are my lovely, fragrant grits. I then stirred in the parmesan and 1 Tbs. butter. Then removed from the heat and covered to keep them hot.

Next… the shrimp!

Heat the remaining 2 Tbs. butter in a skillet. Add the garlic and stir. Season the shrimp with salt and pepper and toss into the skillet.


Cook until translucent and pink. This just takes 3-4 minutes. Then add in 2 Tbs. water and the lemon juice.


Serve over the grits.


Now, I had to show you that the stovetop recovered with LOTS of elbow grease, a scrubber sponge and some gritty cleaner (made for ceramic).


Yay! It survived to cook again. :)

9 comments:

  1. wow I thought you meant the dish was a failure! I've never had saffron and if it's pricey dont think I wanna take the chance! don't think I've ever had grits either - well maybe tasted them once but dont recall them being all that great..will have to give it another try! haven't cooked shrimp in forever- I've had it at restaurants where they take care of that nasty deveining chore..blech!

    so was it worth all the effort? it looks good...and my stove has MANY war wounds - even elbow grease didn't help.

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely worth the effort, Susanna!

      Yes, war wounds in the kitchen are part of life, I guess. I have a scar from a cut two Christmases ago. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy. Are grits high calorie and carb??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ignoring Ruthy's post below. For now. :)

      They're made from ground up corn. And I LOVE corn. So yes. Starchy. And delicious when made with cream and cheese! :) :)

      Now to address ruthy's comment...

      Delete
  3. DID YOU RUN OUT OF PASTA????? In the entire state???? Because that is the only reason on God's green earth that anyone should think grits.... (yes, laughing at you, and not because of the boil over, oh my land sakes, my poor stove top is so SAD because I walk away constantly. I'm ridiculous...) but because why grits???? Go ahead, answer Tina's question about calories and carbs.... and it's G-R-I-T-S. I'd get the trade in calories or carbs for chocolate cake, but it's G-R-I-T-S. (walks away, chin down, shaking her head.... because in Ruthy world, grits and scrapple are just not done. Ever. And she might be wrinkling her nose right now, at the thought.....) Here, check out this website, Tina..... (Missy will kill me for posting this, I'm AT GREAT PERSONAL RISK DOING THIS!!!!) GRITS CARBS AND CALORIES And nothing of value that I can see, a whole long row of zero....zero....zero..... Which if it tastes amazing, (like the aforementioned chocolate cake) is fine.... but come on, Missy! Darling, it's grits.

    'Sall I'm sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO WORTH IT!!

      And that's all I need to say about that. (But like I said, they must be made with cream and possibly cheese.) hahaha!

      And chocolate cake…well, that's just comparing apples and oranges. But compared to pasta, yes, I'd have to choose pasta. Still, I love grits on occasion! And paired with shrimp, you just can't go wrong.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, the only time I'd ever heard the word grits growing up was when someone yelled a rude phrase at the playground. I honestly thought it was a body part. Then I got to college and met my wonderful SOUTHERN roommate from Mississippi! Suddenly, the world had opened up to me and it was full of tasty GRITS!
    Since then, I've had them fried, with cheese, plain, with all sorts of tasty things sprinkled on top. I've had them with blackened catfish in an amazing restaurant in the French quarter of New Orleans. I've had them when the cook was too tired to make hush puppies. I've had them in the morning, in the middle of the day, and once at midnight when we got back from a long trip.
    But I have NEVER had them with saffron! YUMMY!

    I'm definitely trying this twist. I saw a great shrimp and grits recipe on the South Your Mouth blog. Her The Food Network debut is coming in a few weeks and I hope she pulls that recipe out of the bag!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH. MY. GOSH.

    Missy. Not Mindy.

    All I can say is that I just got off the phone with my friend Mindy P, here in Washington State.

    Forgive me. I DO know who you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I answer to both. My sister's name is Mindy. ;)

      I'll look for that new show! I watch Food Network all the time.

      Delete