Friday, November 15, 2013

Pumpkin Pie!

Missy, here. Yes, it's almost that time. It's almost Thanksgiving! This week I'm sharing my pumpkin pie recipe. Next week, I'll share my mom's pecan pie recipe. Then the day will be here!


Okay, I know by sharing my pumpkin pie recipe I'll be setting myself up for teasing by you who probably created your own recipe and may even grow your own pumpkin. :)  I'm admitting to you now, I use the recipe on the can of pumpkin and buy a refrigerated crust! :)

But why mess with something that never fails to please my family?

So, here we go...

Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees. Put your pie crust in the pie pan. I use the Pillsbury roll up crusts. They're the store-bought brand I've found that's closest to homemade.

Look! I made those ridges with my own fingers! So it's practically homemade!


Next, follow the directions on the can of Libby's pumpkin! This is from the Libby's site. :)

Ingredients


Directions

MIX sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

POUR into pie shell.

BAKE in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Top with whipped cream before serving. 
Notes from Missy...
Don't over-bake. The pie may not look quite done but it will set up once you take it out.
Also, don't go too heavy on the cloves! I actually use about 1-1/2 or 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the 3 spices.
Don't mess up and use sweetened condensed milk by accident (yeah, experience talking).
Next week, you'll get the pecan pie recipe. Meanwhile, here are the photos from last Thanksgiving. Now I'm craving pie! Not much longer...


22 comments:

  1. What? I thought we were supposed to use the prepared pie mix! Really! Now I'll have to try it with the pure pumpkin and add the spices.
    I LOVE pumpkin pie. My family hates it. That leaves a whole pie for ME.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of a pie mix, Virginia. Cool! Yes, enjoy it yourself! My middle son is crazy for it. I always make 2 pies. One for him, one for the family! :)

      Delete
  2. P.S. We do grow pumpkins but my husband likes to slice them, boil them in sugar water and eat it like that! Candied pumpkin, sort of...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's two yummos in two days Virginia!! I see future blog posts!!!

      Delete
  3. I love making pumpkin pie from scratch.

    Did you use sweetened condensed milk AND add sugar? I use the sweetened condensed milk in my recipe sometimes for a smoother pie but haven't had a problem. Whew, if you did, boy, that would rot teeth for sure!

    Peace, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, I just mentioned the condensed milk so they don't use the wrong one. I use evaporated. :)

      Delete
    2. Right, on the recipe on the back of my can, it says "not sweetened condensed milk"! But my can is 'Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix' with pure pumpkin. It already has spices. Yum. I could eat it out of the can!

      Delete
  4. I can live without it! well I do like it but well it's not the first thing I usuallyl go for on the dessert table! when doing weight watchers I made a crustless version and liked it pretty well
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, then maybe you'll like the pecan pie next week. It's much sweeter! More dessertish :)

      Delete
  5. I love pumpkin pie!!! And, true confession, I've never made one before. I always get it at a bakery. I always thought it would be really complicated to make but looking over the recipe you shared, I think I should give it a try. :-) And I've never had pecan pie either so I'm looking forward to next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, if you buy the crust this is a really quick to make pie! You'll be amazed.

      Delete
  6. You know me...I love just about anything pumpkin. And pumpkin pie ranks at the top. Missy, I make mine exactly th same way--Pillsbury pie crusts and the recipe off the can of Libby's pumpkin. Why mess with perfection. However, I only use the spices as listed on the recipe. I've tried it with the pumpkin pie spice, but it just didn't seem as flavorful.

    And yes, they do have the cans of pumpkin pie filling, like Virginia said. They're usually right next to the regular canned pumpkin, so I have to be careful that I grab the correct can.

    Missy, sounds like you and I will be in pie heaven in a couple weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I feel better about myself immediately! :)

      Thanks for telling me about the pie filling. I thought Virginia meant a powdered type mix!

      Delete
  7. Missy,

    I'm the only one in my house who likes pumpkin pie too, which is why I better not make any!! DH likes pecan though, so I look forward to next week. The pics look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Piper, I bet you could freeze it in smaller sections. My parents always buy pumpkin pies in the freezer section, so I think they probably freeze well.

      Delete
  8. I love and respect you for this.

    You will now be entered twice in my will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I'm honored! Let's see. Two times zero is...

      :)

      Actually, I do feel affirmed. So that's my reward. :)

      Delete
  9. At least you understand that it's not the money or lack there of that counts. It's the intention. Fast and Easy are my friends. I love pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always use the recipe on the back of the Libby's can, too, Missy. It makes the best pie, doesn't it?

    I have to make at least three pies around here. Everyone loves pumpkin, so I make two of them, and then I make a third - usually apple or cherry.

    But this year I'm trying pecan pie, so I'll be looking forward to next week's post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all things pumpkin. Missy, this looks marvelous, as always.... I do make my own crust, and I found the School of the Holy Childhood in Rochester (has a big pie sale each year) uses my crust recipe. Love it! And they had a Cranberry Apple Nut pie that was amazing. What a perfect fall mix, right????

    I use the Libby's recipe too. It's the best. I have to adjust it because my pumpkin pie pans are huge... and I add and extra egg and an extra 1/4 cup sugar per pie. I like a deep pie and I like the custardy texture of the extra egg. It's a slightly softer set, but firm. But still, based on the LIbby's recipe. Oh, except with a tiny dot of cloves.

    I love that Tina's in love with you now.

    This may or may not last.

    Just preparing you, honey. :)

    I'm still waiting for that spice/chocolate cookie recipe, Tina Radcliffe. Shame on you for hoarding it!!!!

    ReplyDelete