Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A Trip to the Ranch and Blueberry-Peach Crisp

Tex here, swinging in from a relaxing weekend at the ranch. Wish it could have been longer, but marching band started yesterday, which means we may not get to escape the city anytime in the near future.
 
But we had fun, nonetheless. The kids did what they love to do--shoot guns, hike/ride through the woods, fish, and prep their deer stands for fall.
 
This is the camp house, our little getaway tucked in the middle of nowhere. You can tell by the mess on the front porch that it was well used this weekend. Towels and swimsuits line the railing and, of course, no camp house is complete with a potato launcher (that tall, skinny white thing on the right). You just never know when you might come under attack.
 
The ranch, or farm as we call it, spans about 1500 acres in all and every place has a name. Names that have been around for over a century, like the Beverly Opening, President's Ridge, The Hog Pasture, Tanyard Branch, Walnut Hill.... Mention those names, and most folks in the area know exactly where you're talking about.
 
This weekend, we decided to take a jaunt up to Walnut Hill. Now there are only a few ways you can get there. Walk, horseback, or Polaris. And let's face it, the Polaris is quicker and more fun. Especially when the temp is in the 90's.
 
After a long, hot day of riding the range, mowing, and mending fences, there's nothing better than a dip in the hot tub. The Hillbilly Hot Tub, that is.
 
Yep, it's a horse trough. Not that any horses have ever used it. We bought this when the boys were little. Actually, they both learned how to swim in it. But at the end of the day, it belongs to mom and dad. Doesn't my man look happy? Nice and refreshed. Ribs and chicken are cooking in the background, we're sippin' a cold drink, and talking about the day.
 
Then it's time for some grub and a fruity, rustic dessert that starts with some peaches and a pint of blueberries.
 
 
The blueberries refused to pose with the peaches while they were still fuzzy, so I had no choice but skin the peaches. Simply dunk them in boiling water for 10-15 seconds...

And the skin will slide right off.
 
Now slice your skinless peaches into a bowl, add the blueberries, about 1/3 cup of sugar, the juice of half a lemon (about a teaspoon) and stir to combine.
The blueberries don't mind cozying up with the peaches now that they've shaved. :)
 
Pour the mixture into a buttered baking pan.

In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. You could also add some chopped nuts, if you like. I do, but didn't have any.
 
Using forks or a pastry cutter, cut in 1/4 cup (half a stick) chilled butter until mixture is nice and crumbly.
 
Pour over top of fruit.
 

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until top is browned and fruit is nice and bubbly.

You can serve it hot or cold, but I like mine warm with a scoop of Bluebell Homemade Vanilla.

Mmm.... What better way to end a truly spectacular day.

 
If you had the opportunity for a quick weekend getaway, what would be your idea of fun?
 
 
 


20 comments:

  1. Oh those, persnickety blueberries! :-) Thanks to you I am drooling all over my keyboard. I love the peach blueberry combo and think I'll have to pick some up at the farmer's market this weekend so I can make this recipe. Mmmmmm.

    Mindy, you lead such an exotic life! This Canadian Easterner is gobsmacked by your ranch and hillbilly hot tub. :-) And the potato launcher. Who knew they even existed? Not I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kav, boys and potato launchers go together like...well...peanut butter and bacon. Not your first thought, but once you've tried it, you know it's a match made in heaven.

      Delete
    2. That's almost what I was going to say, Jan. Chalk the potato launcher up to my eldest son. Anything that involves small explosions and/or messes is right up his alley.

      Gobsmacked? That's a new one on me, Kav. I don't know how exotic things are at the ranch, just plenty of down-home fun. And don't you just love peaches and blueberries together? It's one of my favorite combinations. Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. hmm my idea of a fun weekend would be a quilt retreat with a few friends in a nice country setting like yours! my friends just got back from one but it was kinda big- I like smaller groups.
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does this mean you're a quilter, Susanna? I love quilts, but don't think I'd ever had the patience to sew one of my own. However, on a quiet retreat with a few fun ladies, I just might be persuaded. :D

      Delete
    2. yes but I'm pretty much machine all the way and quick and easy! only done a little bit by hand - I'm too unfocused and impatient LOL! you should've gone on this last retreat - round robin groups- and there are a few wild ones who make me seem very tame! I like a little bit quieter or the wild ones in smaller doses or when I'm more energetic myself - for relaxing I just want a few friends to chat with and just sew!
      they were using a small retreat place outside of La Grange, TX then found a bigger location when that one got too crowded. the fave place sold :-(
      it's not that hard to make one and a lot of us pay someone to machine quilt them - I do the smaller ones myself but after attempting to maneuver a huge king size around under my sewing machine that was it for me! but there are patterns that dont take that long if you do them on your sewing machine.
      Susanna

      Delete
  3. Bluebell ice cream!!! It goes great on anything, but it looks especially good on this yummy on this crisp :)

    You are so blessed to be able to retreat to your farm! We'll just call you the weekend Pioneer Woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are, Jan. Bluebell is great with anything. Especially a spoon:P Love that stuff.

      We are blessed to have the farm. It's saved my kids from being all city. I love it when their friends come along, especially those who've spent their entire lives in the city. They're usually the ones who end up the dirtiest. And I have to say, the farm is also the perfect writer's retreat. Sans the boys, of course:)

      Delete
    2. I love the look of your crisp! So delightful although the peach skin never slips off for me that well--I'll try it next time!

      And I love Blue Bell too! It's the only kind of ice cream I buy!

      Piper

      Delete
    3. Please excuse the garbled language in my comment. I had a puppy who was DONE waiting for his walk.

      Delete
    4. Piper, that peach skin can be a bear to get off. But the boiling bath does the trick. Especially if they're ripe. Under ripe can be a little more challenging though.

      Delete
    5. What garbled language, Jan? Everything looks fine to me. But I know how those impatient puppies can be. :)

      Delete
  4. Ahhh, Mindy. Just the post I've been waiting for. I have a bowl full of peaches from the greenmarket and pints of blueberries just waiting to be baked.

    I had something like this in mind but didn't have a particular recipe. Now I do. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, this is the perfect fix for that floundering fruit. Hope you like it as much as I did. :)

      Delete
  5. I've always wanted that kind of hot tub!!

    And I'm in love with the old tractor in the background. COOOOOl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virginia, they last forever! Kind of like the tractor--1949 Ford :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't remember the horse trough when we were at the cabin.

    The dessert looked scrumptious!! I could almost smell it. Made me want some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how did I miss this??? Now I wish I'd bought peaches at the store with the blueberries!!! Yum.

    ReplyDelete