Friday, April 19, 2013

Another Epic Fail

Missy, here. I was glad Virginia shared her failures earlier this week so I don't feel so bad. I kind of hate to show recipes that I blow, because Ruthy will be sure to make fun. :) But I WILL share it, because I learned a lesson. And also because it looked so darn good! (And will be the next time I make it.)


I had a package of boneless pork chops thawed out. And my daughter groaned, saying she can't stand the texture of pork. Nothing I suggested appealed to her--not barbecued or apricot glazed. So I had a brainstorm. I pictured the meat finely sliced in Asian food and decided to go digging in my pantry. Maybe I could find some Thai seasoning.

And I did! I had pad Thai sauce and also a peanut sauce. I knew I loved the pad Thai sauce because I'd made it before, so I decided to try the peanut sauce mix. I couldn't remember when I bought it, so I checked the package for an expiration date. Didn't have any. After learning a lesson with tuna (found out by calling the 800 number that the packet I had was 6 years old! LOL), I searched for a manufacturing date. I couldn't find any numbers stamped anywhere so assumed it should be fine.

Well, DO NOT ASSUME. Once the meal was cooked, I tasted it, and it was HORRIBLE. Tasted like rancid peanuts. I was so upset. I'd spent all that time slicing the meat very thin so my daughter would like it. Not to mention the cost of the pork and a perfectly gorgeous pack of frozen green beans.

We had to throw it out and eat the noodles with a jar of spaghetti sauce and cheese. My son, who would normally good-naturedly make fun of me about it, even gave me a hug. Very disappointing.

So anyway, I still want to share the recipe. I'm sure the sauce will be good if I buy a new pack. :)

Thinly slice 4-6 boneless pork chops (hint, they slice easier if you freeze them for about 10 minutes)
Lightly brown the pork in a little canola oil
Add 1/2 bag frozen thin green beans (Aren't these gorgeous! I got them on my first trip to Aldi.)


In a separate pan, make the sauce according to package direction (this called for a can of coconut milk and a little fish sauce). Add to the pork and beans.
Top with chopped peanuts and serve over Thai noodles.

I hope you make this successfully! I'm sure you'll do better than I did. :)

4 comments:

  1. Well, I've already had to delete a spam comment about dental implants! We have so many of those. Y'all please don't click on any links that get posted unless they're from someone you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well the pic looks good - but I promised myself never again trying anything with coconut milk - I've tried the light coconut milk 3x now and even my doggies wouldn't eat one of the results. I like seeing the boo boos though- I don't feel so bad now!
    I'm still trying to figure out how Ruthy cut that cake in half crossway(the snickerdoodle thingy) - why not just bake 4 without filling the pans? seems easier since I can't cut straight to save my life- mine would be sloping!
    I feel for your daughter- I'm not wild about pork either- other than bacon that is - and sometimes ham. I eat it but it's just not a fave - I'm more beef and chicken!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Failure aside, it definitely LOOKS good!

    My husband also has a texture thing with pork. I've started buying thin cut pork chops, or else slicing it thin for a stir fry like you did.

    And you have an Aldi's!!! I miss that store so much! When the children were little, I did a cost comparison. I figured I saved 30% by shopping at Aldi's instead of Walmart. Yes, Walmart!

    But now I'm stuck with Walmart's prices (which aren't bad), but I sure miss those Aldi deals!

    ReplyDelete