Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Shopping Fatigue


Missy, here. Shopping and decorating fatigue has set in. I waited until last minute and am worn out. I did most of my shopping yesterday and came home at 10:30 last night to my peaceful, welcoming front door. (Actually, I passed it by and drove into the garage, then entered from the back. But we'll pretend my front door greeted me.) :)

I came in and had to hide all the gifts. Then I had to put away office supplies I bought while out. THEN, I finally got to crash on the couch, propping my feet up on the coffee table. And...you guessed it. I realized I was hungry.

Of course I was. Shopping can really make you work up an appetite. :)

I started out thinking healthy. I'd made kale chips on Monday, and they were gone. I wasn't in the mood for fruit. Or oatmeal. Or even Kashi cereal (all my regular snacks). No way was I going to bake anything. The kids were making popcorn, which smelled good. But no, that didn't appeal to me...

I seriously considered cheese and crackers. Or cream cheese with pepper jelly and crackers. Or instead of pepper jelly, I have this wonderful new sauce I bought at a Pampered Chef party--Blackberry Balsamic. Just pour it over a block of cream cheese and serve with crackers. Excellent!

Then it hit me what I wanted. A RUTHY SALAD! The salad she shared with us a while back. I had one the other day for lunch. Here's my version:

Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Shredded cabbage
Broccoli slaw
Shredded carrots
Cubed cheddar cheese
Chopped ham (lunch meat)
Sunflower seeds
Ranch dressing

I buy the first 5 ingredients already prepared. I'll chop the ham and cheese. I may add cucumbers if I feel like expending the energy to peel and chop. :)

And just think, I resisted the carbs. I resisted the cream cheese. I'm proud of myself! (But we won't talk about the Starbucks Caramel Brulee Latte I had while out shopping!!)  :)

What's your favorite snack when you're worn out from shopping and holiday prep and are just too tired to make anything? If you do indulge in the cream cheese or carbs, feel free to admit it. We won't judge you around the cafe. :)

5 comments:

  1. Missy, isn't that marvelous???? And you don't feel like a sick ol' pile o' bones when you're done eating it! That's the best part!

    It sounds yummy-to-my-tummy and I'll join you in that salad a little later today. And you've hit the nail on the head, if the bulk of it's made up ahead of time, it's EASY to grab that instead of ice cream.

    Or cake. Or pie.

    This weekend the Christmas feasting commences. But for two more days... I'm in salad mode. Mostly. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL -- I'm a vegetarian and all but the last thing I'd want to munch on at 10:30 p.m. would be a salad. I'm afraid I'd have gone for cranberry oatmeal bar or a shortbread or...well, let's just say that my sweet tooth really kicks in after dark. I try to stay away from the kitchen then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, Kav! I actually went for oatmeal with dried cranberries, fresh blueberries and walnuts the night before. I'm a terrible nightime snacker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite late night snack is an orange. I keep Clementines in the house all winter long - they make a great snack, quick and easy (and zero points on Weight Watchers).

    The alternative is cinnamon toast - light on the toasting, a smear of butter, and a dash of cinnamon and sugar (or stevia).

    If I'm really tired and just want some comfort food? Warm milk, with a dab of butter, stevia for sweetness, a pinch of salt and a generous 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought a box of clementines, Jan. We love them!

    I still need to try your warm milk recipe!! I love broiled cinnamon toast!

    ReplyDelete