Monday, July 30, 2018

Satisfying Cravings with Pound Cake

by Jan Drexler

We've all been there.

Sometimes, no matter how good our intentions are, we just have to satisfy the cravings we've been denying for days. Weeks. Maybe even months.

Sometimes, we just want CAKE!

I had one of those undeniable cravings last week, but I also had no time. I have a deadline creeping up on me, plus a house to organize into some semblance of anti-chaos. So I went diving into my old cookbook.

The one that has you use real butter instead of margarine. The one that didn't worry about carbs or fat, or even calories.

You guessed it: my old trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook from 1950.



My mom received a copy of this cookbook when she got married sixty-eight years ago, and I'm still kicking myself for not snagging her copy before it was sold in a garage sale back in the '80's. (I do have all of her Better Homes and Gardens cookbooks, though!)

Even though a facsimile edition was reissued several years ago, I was happy to find an original on E-bay. I love this cookbook, and this is one of the reasons why:


My career has always been homemaking. Yes, I've done other jobs, but my heart has always been in the home. This cookbook and others like it - even though they are dated and sometimes clash with our modern sensibilities - took homemaking seriously. It wasn't something to do as an afterthought when your "real" work was done. It was a priority. It had merit. It was respected.

This page gives good advice on taking care of yourself, and it's applicable no matter what your job is. It advises having regular medical checkups, getting outside in the sunshine and fresh air on a regular basis, and planning (and taking) time off for refreshment and recreation.

But my favorite piece of advice is this one:


I call this my power nap! :-)

Anyway, on to cakes!


This is one of the most basic recipes I have, so it's perfect for a busy day. It took only a few minutes to mix up, and it was ready for my afternoon snack.

Betty Crocker's Pound Cake

ingredients:

1 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
1 T. lemon juice
4 large eggs
2 cups flour
1/4 t. baking powder

Cream the butter thoroughly, about one minute.

Add the sugar gradually while the mixer is running, beat for an additional three or four minutes.

Beat in the lemon juice, then add the eggs one at a time, beating for about one minute between adding each egg.

Add the flour and baking powder and mix just until combined.

Pour the batter into a greased 9"x 3" loaf pan.

Bake at 300 degrees for 75 to 90 minutes, or until golden brown (test with a toothpick).


One bite of this and I knew I had something special. It satisfied my cake craving, but it would also be a perfect base for a fruit dessert! Strawberry Shortcake, or peach pie filling, or mixed berries... Yum!

So tell us. Do you have a favorite retro cookbook in your collection?








Jan Drexler lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband and growing family. When she isn't writing, she loves hiking in the Hills or satisfying her cross stitch addiction.

You can find Jan on Facebook, Jan Drexler, author, or her website, Jan Drexler.com.

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all my talk of healthy eating, cake (or any baked good) is my downfall. Since I watch my sodium, this is often a problem. But I have low sodium baking powder. It's pretty amazing that's all that is in it.

    I think this goes in the "try it soon" category. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, baked goods are my downfall, too!

      I used salted butter when I made this, and that gave it just enough flavor for me. If you use unsalted butter, you might want to add a small pinch of salt - still within low-sodium guidelines!

      Delete
  3. Jan, our brains must be on the same wavelength because, as you'll see tomorrow, I've been craving cake, too. The addition of lemon to this pound cake is what snagged my attention. I love lemon. Honestly, I don't think I've ever made a pound cake, though. Hmm... I must remedy that.

    As for retro cookbooks, I love to look a them. But neither of my two go-to cookbooks are retro. Though my kids would probably think so. One is the Betty Crocker cookbook I received back in 1979 or 1980 and the other is a 1999 Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook. Though whenever a recipe calls for shortening, which they all do in my BC version, I almost always use butter . With the exception of my chocolate chip cookies. For those I use half butter and half shortening, simply because I like a softer cookie. I've tried using the butter flavored shortening, but it just doesn't impart the same flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemon juice added a fresh flavor to this cake. Not lemony, but good.

      I have another recipe for a similar pound cake, but after it bakes you poke holes in the top, then pour a lemon glaze over the top. It reminds me of a glazed donut! I'll have to share that one sometime.

      Delete
  4. I love old cookbooks, especially Betty Crocker! And I bought that reprinted edition because I loved that one... and my brother got my mother's copy years and years ago.

    So getting a reprint was a wonderful thing!!!

    I have never tried this pound cake. I bet it would be marvelous, Jan...

    And I love the housewife/homemaker tips!

    I do have a few circa 1900 America Cooks cookbooks...

    With the possum.

    And the squirrel...

    And the head cheese recipes! :)

    I do not consult them. But I love 'em!

    NO POSSUM HERE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear possum's good eatin'!

      Although we won't be having possum here any time soon, either.

      I have eaten woodchuck, though. I'd have it again.

      Delete
    2. Is it like rabbit? (KAV DO NOT READ THIS!!!) :)

      Delete
  5. Jan, I'm sorry I missed your post yesterday! I LOVE pound cake! I need a good recipe (I can't find some of my old recipes since we moved). So I'll try this one!

    I love my older Betty Crocker cookbook like the one my mom had. I use it all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete