Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Roasted Veggies and Ranch Life

We are officially into the dog days of summer here on the coastal plains of Texas. Rain chances have fled, humidity is high and African dust has settled in, creating some hazy days. Unlike most years, though, we've had rain, so even though we are in the middle of July, things are still blissfully green. 
Don't you just love the clouds after the rain?
Even the wildflowers are popping out to say hi.

But the hot weather means hillbilly hot tub time. 
Yes, it's a trough that we use for relaxing. Something we've done for 20 plus years without a problem. Until recently.

First I caught this cow staring longingly from the other side of the fence.
A couple of days later, I looked out the window to see this.
How rude. Not only his this cow drinking out of my pool, she brought the children. I mean, there's a pond just beyond the trees. (insert rolling eyes) I wonder how she'd like it if I swam in her pond. Stupid cows.

So you've heard me talk about roasted green beans. Or maybe not, since I can't seem to find the recipe. How is it possible that I haven't shared my favorite green bean recipe with you?

Okay, so my favorite way to cook vegetables is to roast them. There's just something about roasting that ignites the flavors of the veggies. Like the other night, I had some broccoli in the fridge that I was planning to use for broccoli salad. Except I was too lazy, but I didn't want to just steam it either. Aha! I'll roast it like I do my green beans, only slightly different. I'll explain that in a minute.

All you do is cut up your broccoli, rinse it, then pat it dry. Spread the dried broccoli onto a foil-lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss everything to coat. Place pan into a 400 degree oven for  15-18 minutes, or until broccoli is slightly browned. And voila! 
Honestly, I could make a meal out of this alone. It's like popcorn. You just can't stop eating it. Cauliflower is good, too. And about those green beans. Trim, rinse and dry them. Then, along with the olive oil, salt and pepper, add a couple slices of uncooked bacon you've cut into bite-size pieces. Toss everything together and bake for 18-20 minutes. Even my boys eat those. And that's saying something.

Now it's your turn. What's your favorite way to fix/eat vegetables? And what are your thoughts on those pesky cows? And what are you doing to beat the summer heat?

-------------------------------
Three-time Carol Award finalist, Mindy Obenhaus, lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, the youngest of her five children, two dogs and countless cattle. She's passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining and sometimes adventurous manner. When she's not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren. Learn more at mindyobenhaus.com. 

13 comments:

  1. I love to roast veggies too. My husband's very pleased with my bacon wrapped asparagus.....we will just pretend that is healthy. I actually try to include vegetables in my baking as much as I can. Ever had black bean or beet brownies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, that would be a no on the brownies, although I think I have a recipe for the black bean ones. I have one that uses okra, too. Not sure how I feel about the beets, though.

      And bacon-wrapped asparagus sounds awesome. Do you roast it? I’ve had appetizers of prosciutto-wrapped asparagus with cream cheese, but they’re not cooked.

      Delete
    2. Yes I bake it. I like the smaller asparagus since they don't get as tough so I usually do 2 or 3 per piece of bacon.

      Delete
  2. I love roasting veggies... we don't have A/C so when it's crazy hot we are somewhat reluctant to turn the oven on, but we still do it... because roasted veggies rock!

    We do them on the grill, too, but with a bunch of us, there's not enough room to cook meat and veggies... and time is always a narrow window here.

    That's the plus side of the roasting, though, Mindy... it's so easy! And that makes it even more worthwhile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, one of the best things about roasted veggies so that you can do one or two big ol baking sheets full, enough to feed all those people. And if you line the pans with foil, there’s no clean up. Score!

      Delete
  3. Roasted veggies are a favorite at our house, too! In the summer, I grill them if I'm doing burgers or steaks. I have a pan with holes in it that's perfect for the veggies - I can stir them, let them cook, then stir them some more. And since we don't have Ruthy's crowd, I can do the meat and veggies at the same time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, the grill is perfect for veggies, too. And I know the trays you’re talking about. Very handy. And you never have to turn on the oven.

      Delete
  4. I love roasted veggies, Mindy. I've done broccoli like that, but I also usually toss on some bits of garlic. You could use garlic powder, but I have my freeze-dried garlic that toasts really nicely.

    I've also dusted it with Parmesan, but that's a little less virtuous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I bet the garlic would be good with the broccoli, Mary Cate. I have tried the Parmesan before and it is good, too.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy roasted veggies or a variety in a stir fry dish with olve oil and spices sprinkled on top.

    Your pest mama and kids were greedy and wanted the water you used instead of their pond water. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, but in this case the water was so refreshing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s been a long time since I’ve made stir fry, Marilyn. I need to change that.

      And those cows need to stay on their side of the fence.

      Delete
  6. OOoh -- this looks yummy. Why have I never thought of roasting broccoli or cauliflower? I roast peppers and peppers and onions and mushrrosm all together and it's yummy so why not broccoli? I love Cate's idea about adding garlic. Double yum.

    Ha to your cows. That belongs in a book. City slicker heroine beating the heat in the 'trough', lounging back, eyes closed and then she has this eerie feeling that she's not alone and when she opens her eyes there's Daisy. Of course she'd need to be rescued by a cowboy, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Cate’s idea, too, Kav. But I can’t believe my vegetarian friend has never contemplated roasting those veggies.

      And you may have just inspired a scene in book, Kav. That’s historical.

      Delete