Saturday, August 6, 2016

Orange-Lemon Basil Baked Trout

Hello, everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is back and it has been SO hot here. That's the bad news. The good news is that our garden is in full swing!
 Mmm, love these heirloom pear tomatoes!
                                              
And this black Thai basil went to seed, but I found you can still use the buds in pesto and sauces.
                                           
Upside garden deliciousness!
                                    
We always share our pears and plums...
                                             
Because it helps our elderly neighbors remember why they love this family with the six loud kids! Lol

                                          
I could eat this all day. *sigh* Why can't we have fruit in the garden year-round? I definitely live in the wrong climate for my tastes.
                                        
We did go blackberry picking and got a few gallons, but they were small and scraggly because a heat wave had hit just as they came ripe. :(
This zucchini blackberry bread was so good! I may have neglected to mention the zucchini part to our picky eater, although I think the sugar balances out any nutritional benefits.
So, one of the neighbors we share fruit and baked good with likes to fish. But he fishes more than he can possibly eat. SO he likes to give the fish to us. I don't crave baked fish but when we do have it, I remember how wonderful fresh baked trout can be.
                                                             
We sliced oranges, lemons, and basil.
                                                  
Spreading a little olive oil on the foil, lay out the fish, salt on one side. Flip the fish. Rub the top with garlic. Stuff the insides with orange slices, some basil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Lay lemon slices on top.
 We have a fun spice grinder that has rosemary and black pepper. Great combo!
 Right before it goes into the preheated over at 425F!
 Ta-dah! They look like baked fish but they taste like the most amazingly fresh bit of fishy foodie heaven. YUMMMM. We paired them with a sparkling lemon water, watermelon mint chilled salad, and couscous.
 Until next time! Be sure to stop by my author pages Mary Jane Hathaway and Virginia Carmichael, or my blog at The Things That Last to get the latest news on my releases in contemporary and historical Christian fiction!





13 comments:

  1. I'm sorry this is late! I was a day behind all week and even double-booked our afternoon. Eeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't notice the lateness...it's right on time up here in eastern Ontario. :-) I'll skip the baked fish but I'm drooling over all your fresh fruit and veggies. I crave fresh everything in the summer. Grazing on salads and fruit all day long. Nice and easy -- mind you I don't have a family to feed so I can get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too! In fact, I crave fresh fruit and veggies all year. I really think I need to move to a more temperate climate! Not that we have a short growing season but around November, I get sad when I look at my options: squash and pumpkins. LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, it all looks so good!! I'm envious of your garden. Love those gorgeous photos!

    I want that zucchini blackberry bread recipe, too! Have you shared it before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't yet! I figured nobody would want it since it's just... zucchini bread with a cup of blackberries. :D

      Delete
  4. MJ, this looks like such a delightful, refreshing way to have fish. Especially when it's hot. 100-103 here, so I'd probably throw them on the grill. Still, I love the citrusy effect. Now if I could just get my guys to go catch me some trout instead of bass, I'd be all set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Why does the link for this post show dark cherry mint ice cream? Are holding out of us, MJ?

      Delete
    2. HAHAHA! Does it?? How bizarre.

      Ohhhh, maybe because I originally planned dark cherry mint ice cream (it was delicious!) but I didn't like how the pictures turned out. So, I switched.

      Delete
  5. My eldest daughter and I were just talking about eating fish with the eyes still in. She's such a picky eater, but she was eating smelts when she was in Greece (to the astonishment of all).

    That bounty of fruit - oh my! I was just telling my youngest about the plum cakes my mom used to bake each summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually take the heads off but I left them on this time at the request of my boys. They really wanted to see the eyes tun white. Are they gross or what???

      I really need some good plum cake recipes or plum anything recipes because I still have a good 20 lbs of plums on my counter. And that's a fruit I can't really let the kids go crazy with. I mean... I guess I COULD. But we'd all regret it.

      Delete
  6. We love fish around here. Thank you for the recipe.

    Plums. We had plum trees in Western NY. Love em.

    Your daughter is growing up. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She turns 15 in a few days! She's outside babysitting right now, earning money for entrance fees to a local art competition. Well, the entrance fees aren't that much. It's the matting and framing that will get you.

      Delete