Thursday, October 22, 2015

Elegant Chocolate Croissants

Elegant doesn't have to mean hard! But you are not, are not, are N-O-T allowed to use instant pudding for this, that is just so highly wrong that I almost couldn't type the words!!!!

First, you're going to make homemade chocolate pudding, it takes about 8 minutes, and most of that is standing and stirring, so the effort is minimal!

And then whipped cream, which almost makes itself, right?

And store-bought, fresh mini croissants. Or you can make the canned ones, but I like the store-bought ones better for this, and this works even if they're a little stale. You'll see what I mean!

Homemade Chocolate Amazing Pudding (Mandy said it was amazing, hence the name change)

3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
dash salt
1/3 cup corn starch
3 cups milk
3 egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla

In 3 quart saucepan, melt butter. Remove from heat.



Mix all dry ingredients together. Add to butter. Mix with spoon.

Whisk in milk and eggs.

Return to heat, medium heat, stir or whisk until boiling. Boil and stir about one minute. Remove from heat. Whisk in vanilla. Chill Completely.

If you like the skin on pudding, don't cover it. But if you don't like the skin, take a piece of plastic wrap and place it right on top of the pudding while it's hot. The plastic wrap will keep the "fat" from rising and forming the skin, and you'll have skinless pudding when it's chilled!

Whipped Cream:

2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar.

Whip at high speed until stiff but not butter. :)


To build the croissant sundaes, you split the croissant in half. Place in bowl. Scoop pudding onto croissant base.


 Then repeat with whipped cream. Replace top of croissant over whipped cream. Dust with confectioner's sugar.



EVERYONE WILL LOVE YOU.

THEY WILL SING YOUR PRAISES.

THIS CAN ALSO BE DONE WITH LEMON FILLING FOR A SUMMERY VERSION!

AND WE'VE DONE THIS WITH VANILLA PUDDING AND STRAWBERRIES, TOO, REMEMBER????

SO GOOD! YES, I'M YELLING, I'M SO EXCITED!

Okay, I've gotten that out of my system! Yay!

Our lives are still governed by God but also by pumpkins.... and squash!

Rains and cooler temps have arrived, so it's more fall-like but still delightful. I can't remember the last time we had such a long, pleasant fall with so many days of good weather. The prevailing northwest wind usually starts bringing us lake effect or enhanced rain regularly by now... and then that lake stuff turns to snow, eventually!

So here is kitten round-up:

Stinkin' cute and ready for homes!!!!

And Jon is taking down the second English walnut tree that the borers killed.... Stinkin' bugs.


And this is Zee Zee, watching his dad work....

And, this is Zee Zee doing something he takes very seriously: eating.

We have that in common.

He's so proud that he can take care of himself, I think he could run with wolves and be just fine as long as there was cereal nearby.

Note the gallon jug of milk. The humongous bowl. And the heaping cereal.

:)

Stinkin' cute.
And that's it from upstate, a new, fun dessert to make folks smile!

And cute kids, and work on the farm, and ... oh yes!!!!

"Home for Christmas" our newest historical collection for Christmas! I love this so much! I tucked my second "Sewing Sisters Society" story into this "Second Chance Christmas" and I'm having

more fun than any author should have! Here it is on Amazon for your Kindle, and we'd love to hear what you think of it!

Enjoy your weekend, I'm traveling today and I don't know if my phone will let me in. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't which means I probably need to upgrade the phone, but gosh... Don't we get kind of tired of that?

Sending you autumn blessings from upstate, where we haven't reached peak color yet... but soon!

Multi-published, best-selling author Ruth Logan Herne lives on a small farm in upstate New York, she loves God, kids, chocolate, dogs and romance... and gardening! Come see her on facebook, follow her on twitter @ruthloganherne or just go old-school and stop by her website. She loves to chat with cooks, readers, writers and just about anyone! 

And here she is, holding Magdalena Ruth, her newest granddaughter!

6 comments:

  1. Oh -- the croissants sound quite decadent. I need to get corn starch. I never have it in stock and then I read a recipe I want to try and find it's in the ingredient list.

    Our fall colours are just starting as well. Hopefully we don't get snow while there's still leaves on the trees -- that's always a mess. Safe travels, Ruthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kav! I always have cornstarch because I love pudding. And lemon pie. They are big faves of mine, KAV!!!!!!

      And tomorrow night TORONTO vs. KANSAS CITY. COME ON, JAYS!!!! Although no matter who wins, Kav.... come next week, I put on my NY Met colors!!!!! :)

      Delete
  2. The chocolate croissants look delicious.
    I love Zee Zee's take on self-sufficiency.
    As for Home for Christmas, I bought it, read it, loved it and reviewed it!
    Wherever you travel, be safe and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracey, I just saw that review, thank you so much!!!!! We are doing our whirlwind drive to NC trip.... But next year once Dave retires and we don't have to do it all in three days, I promise I'll meet you along I-95 for coffee or tea and we'll see if Deb H and Judy Smith can meet us too. I don't think I'm coming down in the spring, but that could happen.... it just doesn't look likely now. I'm waving to you!!!

      Delete
  3. I laughed so hard at your opening where you could hardly get out the words to instruct us on the importance of making our own pudding homemade. LOL!! Love it. I promise to try…someday.

    :)

    Love the Zee Zee photos! Reminds me of my oldest when he used to insist on getting his own breakfast. He once spilled almost the whole gallon of milk while pouring it over his cereal. And that house had a sagging kitchen floor, so all that milk ran under the fridge!! Oh my. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, our floor slants too, and of course, it goes under the fridge!!!!!!!! So funny!

      And I had to swallow hard when I typed that first sentence!!!!

      Delete