Saturday, September 13, 2014

Stuffed cheese rolls from Yammie's Noshery/ Hunger Games recipe

Hi everybody! The Fresh Pioneer is back and I have an awesome recipe from an even more awesome blog. I love this place called Yammie's Noshery. This young teen is a baker, photographer and READER. She makes recipes about her favorite characters. HOW COOL IS THAT? Anyway, I just love her site. She's the oldest of a big family and she's really funny, too. She also likes to try out her new recipes on her siblings and write about their reactions.

Anyway, I saw one of her pictures on Pinterest and decided to give it a try. I loved The Hunger Games and although I wasn't Team Peeta, I did love the fact he made cheese rolls for Katniss. I mean, way to a girl's heart!
So, cube your white cheese. I used Monterey Jack which gets good and melty.
1 cup warm water
2 tbs yeast
2 tbs sugar
(You know, the usual start to a good roll.)
Then add :
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup olive oil
Mix in your flour...
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt

In a greased bowl, set it aside to rise.
And boy, did it!
About an hour later, it was HUGE.
Find small, cute children to assist you. Punch down the bread, get blob sized pieces. Roll them out to about half an inch thick.
Like so...
Put in the cubed cheese and pinch closed.
Set the rolls seam-side down on the foil covered sheet.
I had lots of helpers. And they actually were very easy for little kids to make. Bread, cheese, fold. Not hard.


Once you've got a whole sheet of them, brush the tops with butter and maybe add a little fresh basil or parsley.Preheat the oven to 375F
Oh, looky! Tina's book is sitting there right on all my jelly! That's my reward for getting all those blackberries put up. (Future post, watch for it.)
Here comes the butter and parsley. Then sprinkle on the cheddar cheese.
Bake for about 11-15 minutes.
 Edward is so proud of his giant cheese roll! He has no idea who Peeta is and I'm not gonna tell him. The Hunger Games is a little too old for this guy, but in about ten years, he'll think Suzanne Collins rocks. (Well, actually he already does since they've read Gregor the Overlander series. Good stuff!)
The smaller guy didn't want his picture taken but... that is price to pay for the cheese roll!
Again, super tasty and easy recipe! Definitely a winner!

Until next time, my friends!

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful result! Everyone did just great and these look fabulous! I will try these for a breakfast treat. One day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really were a lot easier than I was expecting! It was a good non-meat addition to a summer supper that included a big salad and lots of chopped veggies from the garden. The bread and cheese was enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, I bet your whole house smelled divine!!!! Love your sous chefs. Excellent help is so hard to find and you lucked out with two! :-)

    And thanks for the link to the teen baker's website. I love finding good stuff for the kids at school -- some of my older grade sixers will love it. And I'll pass the link along the junior high and high schooler librarians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great site and I love how multi-talented she is. She likes to cook, so she started the food blog. Then she realized she needed good pictures so she learned how to use a camera. But she's also a reader... I think she's a great example of following a passion, and not wondering whether a person is too old, young, a newbie, a bad cook, etc. She just... does. And with humor and kindness!

      Delete
  4. These look great, Virginia! Your boys are adorable and such great help. Someday, when they've grown up, they will be glad they spent time in the kitchen with mom and know how to cook. My son's a great cook and we love it when he cooks for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Tracey! I try to remember that when I have to navigate the kitchen around all my helpers. It gets a little crowded! That's encouraging to hear your son still enjoys cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh. I miss wheat but I got to see more adorable pictures of the boys! Win!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol! I hear you! This is not diet food. I got a half and then let the kids and hubby have at ,'em. I wanted a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! and I didn't know you had discovered Yammie's Noshery too. Coincidence. I discovered her for this recipe -The Best Banana Bread Muffins Ever {Without Dirtying a Single Dish} -which is really delicious.

    My book is so happy!!!! To be in your kitchen. When you said I make a cameo, my first thought was...WHOT? (with an o for effect) I am making jewelry?

    ReplyDelete
  9. My comment disappeared because the sign in was wrong.... #love Tina's book hangin' with the jelly jars and I'M ALL OVER THIS RECIPE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me all the time. I just blame you.
      But now you've poke a hole in that theory.

      Delete
  10. I want those kids. Stinkin' cute, VCM. Share, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, boy, yes. Sixteen months apart and best friends/ worst enemies. My first two were 18 months apart but they were GIRLS.
      I always frowned on people who talked like that. "Gender bias," I'd whisper under my breath.
      Huh. How was I supposed to know that little boys would not sit and do each others hair and chapstick for an hour... but rather stack dining room chairs and try to see who could knock them over with their bodies, while dodging the flying furniture?

      Delete
  11. Yammie's Noshery is a WEBSITE????? (RUNS TO SEE!!!) I missed that first time around!!!! Psyched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so great! I love that girl! But don't go to her Pinterest page. You will never come out,

      Delete
  12. How did I miss this post??? Crazy b-day weekend, though (and parents weekend at my son's college). So anyway, I'm glad I found it today!! YUM. Two of my favorite things in the world. Bread and cheese. :) Thanks, Virginia!!

    ReplyDelete