Friday, November 22, 2013

Mom's Pecan Pie!

Missy Tippens, here, with my Mom's famous (to our family) pecan pie recipe!

Here are most of the ingredients...


This recipe is one of the first I put in a recipe book that was a wedding gift. Dictated straight from my mom by phone (she in Kentucky, I in Georgia).


1 cup pecans, chopped
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup white corn syrup
1/2 stick melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Other than gathering ingredients and chopping the pecans, this recipe literally takes about 5 minutes.

Here are some beautiful pecans from Camilla Georgia! The Lion's club sells them every year, and I always have some in the freezer. Chop about 1 cup of pecans.




Okay, take your roll up crust (or your homemade one if you choose to make it). Since it's a high sugar pie, they tell you to put a little flour on both sides of the crust.


 My edges are NOT beautiful! I got the crust a little too warm and had a hard time rolling it out. Now, with your beautiful crust, cover the bottom of the crust with the chopped pecans.


Mix all other ingredients together and pour over the pecans. This is my mom's trick for making the pecans yummy, sweet and crispy. It coats them with the pie filling, and they float to the top. Like this...


Bake at 350 degrees about 45-50 minutes. Shake a little, and it should be mostly jelled

Remove and let cool a while before eating! Although I do love mine warm.

And now, I can't share the photo of this pie, because it's still in the oven! But I'll show the photo from last year. I hope you'll give my mom's pie a try!


21 comments:

  1. YES!!!!

    I am now armed with a pecan pie recipe and can take over the WORLD!

    I'm going to have to try this out before Thanksgiving. For research purpose, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Virginia. Tell your kids you must sacrifice and try the first one, to take one for the team. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Seems easy! Thank you, Missy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is easy, Piper. I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  3. I just realized I've never cooked with corn syrup before. What other colours does it come in besides white? I might get brave and try this since it doesn't look tres intimidating. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Kav! It comes in light and dark. Not purple or pink. :) and the recipe is very easy!

      Delete
  4. yum! might have to try this- for somre reason It hougth you just put the pecans on top one at a time LOL! of course I've never made one- don't eat it often either as I generally start wtih the meringue pies or apple and make my way down the list.... :-) pecan is always too sweet and I have to slow down LOL!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, you're so funny. Pumpkin isn't sweet enough and pecan is too sweet. :) Note to self: make a pie in between! Hahaha

      This is REALLY sweet. I agree. But I love a slice once to twice a year. :)

      Delete
    2. yeah me too - I get a small slice - usually after I've had the easy-eating pies! - and people are sitting around visiting! yes my family usually scarfs the food LOL with limited conversation! well sometimes they talk usually it's if you have a table of women - the men hinder things!
      wonder what a pumpkin or sweet potato pecan pie would be like...
      Susanna

      Delete
    3. I've put a crumbled pecan and brown sugar topping on a pumpkin pie before and it's good! Kind of a pumpkin praline. YUM

      Delete
  5. Oh, I love pecan pie so much!!!! So happy dancing in upstate!!!! I can only eat one slice and I'm one of very few who love it, but it's worth it... and then I slice the rest of the pie into pieces and freeze them individually in the white/glossed freezer paper. That way I can grab a piece when I meet a goal or nail a deadline or do something horrible and need solace!!!! That double wrapping in white paper keeps it fresh and avoids moisture as it thaws. Love this, Missy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will check out freezer paper! Thanks for the idea, Ruthy.

      Delete
  6. I've been waiting for this recipe! My husband loves Pecan Pie, and I vowed to try making it for him this year.

    I should probably make one today, since we're having company for Thanksgiving...don't want to try out a new recipe on unsuspecting guests....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just got back from the grocery store. It was packed! But I have my pecans and karo syrup!

      Delete
    2. Yay, Jan! Don't you hate when it's so crowded?

      Delete
  7. Missy, I love pecan pie, but have never made one. Who knew it was so easy? Hmm...I believe I have all of the ingredients on hand. This could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks soo much for sharing this !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Who knew pecan pie was so easy! I just assumed it was REALLY hard. I need to pull out all those recipe cards from my bridal shower years ago. Our guests wrote down their favorite recipes on recipe cards and signed their names. Many of those wonderful elderly ladies are long gone now. What a treasure... not just the recipes, but that they are in their handwriting. :)

    ReplyDelete