Friday, August 2, 2013

Puttin' on the Ritz

Missy Tippens, here. Puttin' on the ritz...

The Ritz-Carlton Atlanta

On Friday during the Romance Writers of America National Conference, Harlequin threw the annual party for authors. They usually hold it at the Ritz-Carlton in whatever city we're in. It's always a lavish, amazing event. And SO MUCH FUN!

Of course, this year I embarrassed myself taking photos of the flowers and food for all of you. The pastry chefs probably thought I was some sort of bumpkin, snapping shots of the gorgeous desserts! (Goodness, the sacrifices I make for my buds at the Cafe!)

First, the main lobby, and the most unusual flower arrangement I've ever seen. Very regal.



 Next, the table decorations in the Grand Ballroom where our event was held...


Glowing orchids (lit from below)



 And then the desserts...


 The servers were there to help by spreading our choice of icing on the different kinds of cupcakes. Once we had the icing, we could choose toppings...


 And then there were the gorgeous displays...




 Oh, and did I mention chocolate??


Those are fried cheese cake balls on the right!


And above, one of my favorites. A graham type cake with marshmallow cream and chocolate on top. A glamorous s'more!


More beautiful displays of tarts and layered desserts.


And my very favorite...


The best I could tell, it was a meringue type cookie with jam inside. And those little plastic vials? You squeezed them to add more flavoring liquid. Raspberry or lemon. I admit, I had 3 of the raspberry ones!

They were small. :) (That's my story, and sticking to it.)

AMAZING desserts. Amazing night.

Oh, and here I am in a photo with my beautiful senior editor, Melissa Endlich. It's fun to enjoy relaxed time with our editors!


I hope y'all enjoyed some time at the Ritz!

20 comments:

  1. YUMMY!!!!!

    Those triple chocolate mousse things looked great and the macarons with the extra flavoring?? YUMMY!!!

    And Melissa is the BEST EDITOR EVER! That whole Romantic Times Nomination for Best Debut in A Series? That was all her an I'm not ashamed to say it!

    I'm with someone else now, but I learned so much from Melissa, I know it carries over to my writing this year. Generous and lovely person and what a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I work with Emily, but Melissa reads over everything as well. It's great to get feedback from both!

      Delete
  2. omgosh you never would've gotten me out of there! how cool to put little squeeze thingies to add more filling!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna, we didn't leave for about 3 hours--when our feet, in our glamorous shoes, started hurting. :)

      Delete
  3. This is downright mean, Melissa! A whole post of decadent-sounding desserts -- I want to eat them right off my computer screen!!! And having them offered in those exquisite surroundings??? it just says how extra special they thought all of you are.

    Thanks for sharing. (I think.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, it really is a wonderful evening. Definitely not a night to worry about calories! :)

      Delete
    2. Melissa was here? Did her comment get deleted? And I always near how awesome the HQ parties are! Do it yourself cupcakes??? How unique!!

      Delete
    3. I think Carol meant to say Missy, not Melissa. :)

      Delete
  4. La-de-da!!!!!! I would have been grazing all night. Glamorous s'mores -- I am so there!!!!!!! Love the way Harlequin pampers their authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kav. I did graze all night. They even serve coffee later on, and I had one last raspberry cookie with coffee right before we left. :)

      Delete
  5. I think the only thing better would've been a comfy couch to plop down on and read while someone brings me the best selections! :-)
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that settles it. I'm going to have to go to RWA just so I can attend the Harlequin party. Hmm...they're coming to San Antonio next year. Missy, care to stay over a few days and we can retreat to the ranch?

    Okay, now I'm craving something sweet. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be there, Mindy. Maybe we can work out a writing retreat!

      Delete
  7. That's some pretty fancy munching! I'm with Mindy - San Antonio is definitely tempting for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just got home and have no dinner. I will look at this all night.

    Yes, to San Antonio for all! But there isn't a Ritz there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm sure they'll find another wonderful hotel. And actually, it just hit me that they had it at the Waldorf Astoria in New York. So I guess it isn't always at the Ritz.

      I hope you can find something yummy, Julie. And that I don't make you go only for sweets. :)

      Delete
  9. These desserts look amazing, Missy. More incentive to sell to Harl. *g*

    It wasn't the Ritz, but I have to say, the cheesecake cupcakes at the FH&L gathering were pretty amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those little cupcakes the Marriott did were amazing, Mary!

      Delete